Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Seketh, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjar

tjar Pen Pal - Newbie

For my HP 2740p, all drivers have been installed automatically by Windows 8 Customer Preview 64 bits without Ricoh SD MMC (click here), Validity Fingerprint Sensor (click here), and Wacom Digitizer tactile screen (click here and select Windows 7 and Intuos5 then Submit and download pro630-2_int.exe file). For the Vacom driver, unzip the exe file and ask windows to install the driver pointing into the directory where the exe file has been unzipped. With all of that it works fine now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, unfortuently no multi-touch with n-trig so it looks like I'll have to wait patiently to customize it the way i'd like.

3. Raptor

Raptor Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a fujitsu t901. It took a while to get the drivers to work, in the end after hours of tinkering and installing it worked and I DONT KNOW HOW.

--well, it kind of worked. Touch on my machine was faster and more accurate then I ever experienced before. Close to my smartphone. BUT not palm rejection, so every time my palm would touch the computer whilst drawing I would get a nasty set of lines bouncing between my flesh and my pen. Or in z brush it would ruin my model or turn the camera.

I made myself a glove but after getting watery eyes and sneezing a bunch I suspect I am allergic to the wool in the glove!

My second attempt was to install the 7.0.2.24 driver. --YEY palm rejection, ..err, touch rejection? touch worked AS A MOUSE! means no cool slidy menus and explorer windows I have come to love.

I so wish to have both good touch and pen compatibility. one other gripe - the start button is gone, now to hit start I have to slide from the right and then hit the wigit. two clicks one hidden vs one click. How is that more efficient?

ps. sketchbook app seems so-so and there is no pressure sensitivity with it on my computer so far.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You can also use a mouse and hold control while holding the scroll wheel, or click the tiny button in the bottom right that appears when you use a mouse.

5. Raptor

Raptor Pen Pal - Newbie

Update:
    Apparently all you have to have to do is embarrass your computer by telling on it in a forum.

I tried to install a 707 ISD driver from here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/40666-wacom-enhanced-driver-penable-device-23.html

that seemed to fail, I rebooted, still no luck, told it to scan from new hardware and look online (something I must have done 30 times) and it found something and now BOTH touch and pen work.

...but now photoshop cannot see pressure sensitivity but sketchbook express can. @#$%^&*(!

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Fujitsu has its own header written in the Wacom Driver. you need to compare and do some work or wait for version from fujitsu.

7. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw this at Kotaku. It was seen at Techspot and other places but it was my first time seeing it:

[URL="http://www.techspot.com/guides/506-windows-8-shortcuts-and-tricks/[/URL]

the following are only excerpts from the article. refer to the link for more details.

Hot corners
    The Start menu is no longer there, but there's a hot corner that makes up for it (unfortunately on multiple screens it's somewhat of a pain to use).

Lower-left corner + Left click Goes to the Start screen (Metro).

[​IMG]

Lower-left corner + Right click Power user shortcut menu (Device Manager, Control Panel, Command Prompt, Power Options, etc.).
    Upper-left corner Shows open window thumbnails, click to switch between them.
    Upper screen limit + Click & Drag on desktop Move to left or right to snap the current desktop or Metro app to one side of the screen.
    Lower-right corner Windows 8 Charm menu or Windows Aero Peak.
    Upper-right corner Shows Windows 8 charm menu.

Keyboard shortcuts
    Windows 8 is very hotkey-heavy, here are some of the shortcuts I find most useful:

Windows key Shows the new Start screen (Metro).
    Win + type keyword Instant application search (same as in Windows 7).
    Win + D Standard Windows desktop. Also minimizes/restores all open windows in desktop mode.
    Win + Q Shows all installed apps.
    Win + W Instant search for settings.
    Win + F Instant search for files.
    Win + I Settings sidebar (control panel, network, volume, brightness, notifications, and more).
    Win + P Shows multi-monitor options, also useful for connecting an external monitor or projector.
    Win + X Power user shortcut menu (Device Manager, Control Panel, Command Prompt, Power Options, etc.).
    Win + Z Shows App Bar in Metro applications.
    Win + . (period) Snaps the current Metro app to the right side of the screen. Do it twice and it will snap to the left.

[​IMG]

Win + . (period) + Shift Snaps the current Metro app to the left side of the screen.
    Win + J Switches focus between snapped Metro apps.
    Win + Page Up / Down Moves full-screen Metro app to secondary monitor.
    Win + Left / Right arrow Moves and snaps desktop applications in that direction, or to a different monitor.
    Win + Tab Switches between open applications. Similar to using the left-upper hot corner with a mouse.
    Win + L Locks Windows.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know everyone's complaining about Windows 8 on here, but did anyone notice that the built-in PDF/XPS reader now has very basic annotation support? If they add a highlighter and a few different pen colors, it would be more than enough for me I think.

9. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh...what the... that's pretty nice! Especially the pen! It definitely does need a bit more though. Bookmarking, and more colors, and it would make for a very good PDF reader. Besides PDFs it should seriously open like every known office type document, such as Word and Power Points, and allow the same basic annotation.
    Oh, also snapping on "lower resolutions," I don't think I'll let this one go since I'm sure most of the tablet pcs are 1280x800, and only a handful of TabletPCs in the last 6 months have that 1366x768 screen. SOOO aggravating. It worked so well in the developers preview.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Here is an interesting feature of Win 8 CP, Windows to Go:

Windows To Go: scenario overview

Would this allow me to travel from the office to one of our manufacturing plants with a pendrive in my bag as opposed to my whole laptop? Very interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.