Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Seketh, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

I know someone mentioned this, how you aren't able to write character by character, there's a work around... not a great one, but there is. If you go to Lanugages,>Options, you can toggle between free handwriting and character by character. Thought I'd throw that out there.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Thanks SD, I have also found that if you write the first letter of the word and then click on it after it changes to a text character, the TIP changes to character by character for input. You can even scroll to the right like Win 7 TIP but the overall box still does not change size and shape.

I still miss the input panel popping up when you click on an input field. It now takes an extra step to either click on a soft button or push a hardware button to do it each time.

3. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Phantom clicks while just sitting there, or while I'm working. This is despite touch or pen, I get the clicks in the same area. It's about two inches down and one inch from the right. It's really annoying when browsing because this is where most website banner ads are placed. It is highly interruptive, especially when using the keyboard.

4. dceggert

This is reported as working in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview for getting a start menu back on the desktop page:

Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu

The available hacks have already started!

Edit: I just tried this on my TC1100 and yes, it provides a Vista style start menu where everything pops up onto the screen. Functional but old school. I just need a TIP hack now.

5. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

The biggest thing for me besides better driver support, is the TIP interface, and I really do not like how it is one size fits all now. Before when you activated with the pen, you go the handwriting input, and it was small; with touch, you get the touch keyboard.
    Another thing I really hate is the fact that it doesn't expand as you said, it really is a hassle to write two lines out and insert it at a time.
    The popping up thing is I think a new bug introduced into the Consumer Preview. I swear I remember in the Developer's Preview that it would pop out that little icon so you could quickly bring it up, that isn't the case anymore as we've been experiencing.

All I can really suggest is try different drivers. It's still a little shoddy on my device. Here's hoping to Microsoft improving their compatibility with pen and touch devices.

I really hope someone can get the Snap on lower resolutions working soon. That's like the final thing to make this better; aside from the pen bugs.

6. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how to customize the live tile cateogry names like the video (1:07)? I like how he has his apps arranged in groups (Friends, News, Games, etc.). I know how to move them around, resize them, but I dont' see any option to adding category names to the groups of tiles.

7. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

just shrink the start screen by means of two finger pinch gesture and select a group (as if it were a single tile)... then the option to give it a name should appear.

8. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

I think your life will be better in the long run if you just adapt to newer techniques. It's just like how my friend went out of his way to get Windows 7 to behave like Windows XP and constantly griping how Windows 7 is worse than XP. And I'd have to sit with him and ask him what he wants to do and how he does it. Then I'd point out how it's done in Windows 7 and why the new way is more efficient.

9. dceggert

You have not written text into your machine using the TIP have you?

Like I said in another post, it is like going to look at the latest car model and finding out you can no longer get a radio. It is not a matter of getting used to something new, it means getting used to not doing something I used to be able to do.

10. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

To be fair, this is a Consumer Preview. You don't know how the TIP you will be like in the final version.

You should post your concerns over at the oficial Windows 8 forum, and not just rage here, because that's what you're doing right now ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.