Windows 8 and LE1700 ?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by motionfan, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw one blog about a person who installed Windows 8 on their LE1700. Any one else?

2. lost

lost Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed it in my LE1600, and I love it. Need to work on getting the sound and wireless card to work.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'd like to hear more about your experience. Can you report on it? For example does it run faster, boot quicker, get better battery life, or have better handwriting or speech recognition? Or is it more about the "face" of the OS and the ease with which you interact with it?

4. SinrG

SinrG Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Steve,

A few weeks ago I ordered a new SSD card for my LE1600. On this I installed via USB stick Windows 8.

Now the LE1600 has some issues on Windows 8. I managed to get the sound going and most other bits (incl. Wireless) but I found Windows 8 wasn't really built for anything with single input (pen) in mind. The Developer Preview (freely downloadable) may be incomplete so I put some of it down to that. And looking through the control panel almost makes you drool with possibilties.

The Start button brings up he phone like 'apps' menu. I found this sketchy as anything. You could open apps but it was awkward closing some of them. I did program the external buttons to bring up the desktop or go back etc.

I had problems with Audio. The best available driver is for Windows Vista. It doesn't give very good sound quality at all and I did tweak to see what could be done about it.

Also the Intel 915GAL Video driver is not available on Windows 8. This most likely is not what is in the LE1700 so I couldn't tell you what luck you'd have with that machine. Windows 8 DP does have a built-in backup driver which although very good for a generic driver still results in choppy video playback and isn't fluid enough to warrant keeping it as a full-time machine.

The built-in Keyboard is nice though. I'm looking forward to typing on Windows 8 with a multipoint (finger capable) touchscreen. I think this OS will offer a very capable upgrade to an iPad for more demanding users in future.
    In the end I returned to installing Windows 7 Pro and configuring it to suit the machine. I find Windows 7 a treat to work on and will stay with this.

5. webkrawler

webkrawler Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this question is over a year old, but I was recently searching for the same thing and found little help on any forums.

I recently came into a Motion Computing LE1700. Mine has a 1.5ghz Core Duo 2 and 1Gb of ram. Fairly good shape. It came with Windows 7 and was painfully slow. I decided to throw Windows 8 Enterprise on it and just see how it works.

Bootup is VERY quick! It has a fingerprint reader on it and when I went under user accounts to set it up, I was re-directed to Authentec Truesuite and I downloaded the app and installed it which allowed me to register my thumb print for log-in. And it worked.

All the drivers were installed after a few updates automatically. Cool!

My LE1700 came with the standard SXGA screen. Windows set the default resolution after all updates to 1400x1050. Most Metro apps function fine with that resolution.

All the left swiping in and swiping down and charms and everything works flawlessly. If you have more than a few apps running at the same time it can slightly slow down performance. I plan to upgrade my tablet to 3gb ram which should help.

IE 10 runs well. I also installed Opera which also runs very well.

Sound works fine. Hulu Plus runs without a hitch as well as Youtube.

Pen flicks doesn't seem to work, however. But, I can calibrate the digitizer with no problems.

And...the function buttons on the right don't seem to work except the screen rotation button. All other buttons function as they should.

I am very pleased with Windows 8 on this older tablet. It is much faster than Windows 7.

I plan to put up some Youtube vids soon with how it functions with Windows 8.

6. Steve B

Hey, are you able to swipe right to left on the Start Screen? This does not work for me, and I instead have to use the scroll bar. I terrible pita. I would love to see the videos you are planning on making. I have an le1600 and my father in law a le1700. Getting Win8 running on these pen-only tablets would be nice.

7. webkrawler

Unfortunately not. It is quite possible to get this working if you enable pen flicks.
    But, pen flicks performs exceptionally bad within the standard Windows applications
    so I have pen flicks disabled. I believe its disabled by default.

To me, using the scroll bar for the Start Menu is not a biggie on my LE1700. I guess
    its because I have Windows 8 running on a Dell laptop that does not have
    a touch screen so I have to scroll on that to move the Start Menu, as well.

8. webkrawler

I verified that pen flicks has nothing to do with the Start Menu in Windows 8.
    I enabled pen flicks on the desktop (which still performed VERY poorly)
    and when I went to the Start Menu (Metro) it would still not swipe using
    the digitizer.

But, again, to me this has almost been a non-issue. I just use the
    scrollbar at the bottom like I do on my Dell PC. I don't care about
    the digitizer swipes except for the left-edge swipe (to cycle running apps) and the right edge swipe (to bring up the Charms bar) as well as
    the bottom and top swipes. These ALL work in Windows 8.

But, here is a question for you since you are also running Windows 8 on a LE1700. How is the calibration?? I put Windows 8 on my LE1700 about 3 weeks ago, set the calibration first thing, and the calibration for the digitizer has been nearly PERFECT since then. All of a sudden, yesterday, the calibration was off and I could no longer swipe in from the right edge to bring up the Charms bar. I had to go in a delete the calibration settings, and incorrectly set the calibration to fix the issue. have YOU had any calibration issues like this?

9. Steve B

Calibration is working fine, obo. No need to calibrate.

But I want to make the TIP pop up with a hardware button and can't seem to make it do anything when I program it in the Control Panel. Anyone have any luck with this? It would sole the act that the keyboard doesn't pop up like its supposed to do elegantly, but I can't get t to work. ???

I also can't seem to access my keyboard with the pen. I know the floating icon doesnt show up natively anymore, but I just want to open the keyboard manually and type. For example, I can't put in the password to my wifi with the pen, because keyboard won't pop up-- even if I attach it to my Taskbar and tap on it with my pen....???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.