Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10 on Tablet

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by devanxom, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devanxom

devanxom Pen Pal - Newbie

I just purchased a Tablet with Windows 8.1 installed. It's asking me to upgrade to Windows 10. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to upgrading to Windows 10?

Thanks

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes.

3. XJ12

JK. If you haven't used Win 8 much and are more familiar with Win 7 then by all means switch to 10. But, if you're a big table pc user and rely on the the tablet input panel (TIP) then you may not want Win 10 as they have pretty much destroyed its usefulness. 2 in 1's with a keyboard you always have with you has reduced need for the TIP so you might not care anymore.

Supposedly Win 8.1 support ends in 2018. If your machine is fairly new it should last 3 years which means 2019. You only have till July 29th to do the upgrade. As others have noted, you can upgrade to 10 and roll back to 8 to keep your free upgrade for the future.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you explain that further? I've been wondering about that.

And so if you try Win10 now under the free upgrade, and then roll back to Win8.1, you later (say, a year from now) can roll forward (and back) to Win10? Simply, presumably, by running a Win10 clean install and Win10 accepts the license key stored in the BIOS? Or does one use some other mechanism to get back to Win10?

5. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Just upgraded a surface pro 3. W10 has an easy tablet mode

Accessing wifi and brightness now requires jumping into the settings, but that's the only annoyance so far

The other changes they made are nice enough, for both tablet and desktop mode. (although I don't get much excitement from os, you may be more picky)

6. XJ12

Used my surface pro "1" last weekend as I usually do at a restaurant paying my bills and using my portable USB powered scanner. First real use after the Win 10 "upgrade". No issues. After putting my desktop background back where it was (why this setting gets lost during the install is baffling to me) I almost forget that the OS has changed. For me, since I use the windows phone, Win 10 has several things that are very similar to my Win 8.1 mobile. Even the tiles were fun to resize and move around, although I now have little use for the interface now.

7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The new mechanism deployed in W10 by Microsoft generates a unique key for the hardware on which W10 is being installed and then stores this key on a Microsoft server in the Cloud. If you ever do a (clean) reinstall of W10, then the newly generated key is checked against the key stored in the Cloud.

Mikerman likes this.
  8. Mikerman

Thanks--helpful and reassuring to know.

9. Smokster

Smokster Pen Pal - Newbie

IMHO depend of your tablet model.

Actually I have HP Spectre 13 X2 pro - upgraded it from factory installed W8.1 to W10. Excellent user experience. HP provided drivers are stable and everything works as it should.

My other tablet Fujitsu Stylistic Q775 was bought with W10 installed, but the fujitsu's drivers for W10 for this model are so buggy and unstable (particularly screen flickering) so I have tried to downgrade to W8.1 some days ago. Works like dream now, extremely stable.

10. Mikerman

Interesting to hear. Have had no issues with Win10 via upgrade on my HP and Dell tablets (or on an HP and older Toshiba laptop)--and without doing any manual driver upgrading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.