Windows 8.1 Upgrade Begins

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Steve S, Oct 17, 2013.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It's right now downloading real slow on my Yoga RT, but kind of excited to see the new changes and updated browser. I really hope the browser is more stable and ram performance is better.

2. bloodycape

Maybe it's a placebo effect, or maybe it's due to the combo on 8.1 and a firmware update(that also came out today), but my Yoga RT feels a bit snappier. I am really digging how I can choose how much space between two apps can use. So, far it is much better than 8.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Already had two display driver crashes on my 500T. Also kind of confused about SkyDrive, no more 'desktop app'? Hmm.. Apparently Win8 Enterprise cannot be updated through the store (yet?). Too bad, because that's on my two ThinkPads.

4. andy_sym

andy_sym Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell Latitude 10 here with Atome Z2760 processor, updated to official public 8.1 today and getting Intel Display driver stopped responding and has recovered type issues from standby with the Intel 9.14.3.1160 drivers which came through via Windows update but are dated from 6/16/2013 . Both Intel and Dell have no other updates even though we are all updating today!

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone seen an updated iso of Win 8.1 on TechNet?..>>

...Mary Jo contacted Microsoft. They said that there would not be an updated iso posted on MSDN or TechNet...

6. ditharia

ditharia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm getting a plethora of issues from the 8.1 update.

Using Samsung series 7 slate:

1.) Mouse no longer works (Touchpad or Standard Logitech mouse)

2.) Extremely slow booting at user sign in

3.) Black screen for long periods of time

4.) Multiple metro apps (including settings) no longer function. Loops then crashes.

If anyone as any advice, I'd love to hear it. Contacted Windows support, and getting nothing so far.

7. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

My Asus Vivotab is also getting the driver crashed notification after coming out of standby. Also had a return of the good old blue screen of death. While moving around apps on the start screen, tablet froze. Screen went black, then a blue screen came up with a frowny face. Said there was a problem and the device needed to restart. Collected info to send to MS, then just stopped. Held down power button to shut off and restarted OK.
    Its slow coming out of standby, seems a common complaint. But it does feel somewhat snappier.

sent by Nook HD+ using tapatalk

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Clover Trail Atom rears its Video Driver issues again...:(

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Currently the only PC I have running 8 is my media/gaming PC (and the only other PC right now is a Windows Home Server 2011 box). It wasn't quite a flawless setup, as I had to uninstall and reinstall my TV tuner software to get that to work. Plus, my list of scheduled recordings was completely lost. And a specific media program I use with MediaCenter (Media Browser 2.x) doesn't work anymore. I've been hearing of many other issues all over the internet as well.

This is exactly why I was concerned a few months ago, and why I'm telling people I know who aren't very computer-savvy (mostly parents and a few close friends) to just leave it alone and stick with 8 until I can be there to help out in case of any issues.

10. bloodycape

Been a few hours in, only had the computer freeze on my once, but I can't say if that was due to the update or not. I also have noticed RAM usage is a bit better for me as my same usual number of tab open, hasn't really cause any slow ups or IE to crash. I wonder if battery life has changed on 8.1 or not. Any other RT(Snapdragon or Tegra 3) users here? How did the update come out for you?