Windows 8.1 Permissions? [surface pro 3]

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by davey, Aug 16, 2014.

1. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

On my thinkpad x230t with 8.1, I've had no problems making the permissions work the way I wanted. But on the SP3 even after turning off UAC, setting permissions to full control and taking ownership of the c: drive I cannot, say, create a shortcut there.

Did microsoft purposely disable this on the Surface Pro 3's? After making the Administrator account active, it has no problem letting me change stuff all willy nilly on that account. But not my personal admin account.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

The C:\ drive is blocked access without Admin right. That is the normal behavior of Windows 8.
    If it's not, then something (example: malware) has changed how Windows works, or the permissions of the C:\ drives.
    UAC should never be disabled. The point of the UAC protection system, is that no one is true admin., this prevents malware and viruses from attacking your system, unless you choose to allow it, and provide proper account separation.

What are you trying to do exactly?

3. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm trying to have full control over my computer. I don't like windows treating me like a child and I'd like to believe I am competent enough to take care of my PC. If I am an admin, the software should treat me like an admin. There's nothing stopping me from running command prompt and writing files to the root, so why should there be restrictions in explorer?