Windows 7

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by ryuzaki, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryuzaki

ryuzaki Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, I have the Fujitsu T2020 and want to install Windows 7 but I want to boot it from a USB portable hard drive. Just wondering, will it be slow running off the usb drive? Anyone use this method or has windows 7 at all?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

windows can be installed from a usb drive but afaik it cannot be run from a usb drive.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

really? Why not. I don't know it, but I think that if your Bios supports bootable boot drives then windows supports it too.

But I still can't recommend this method, because Windows will write many times on the drive on the same places, which will damage any flash drive which does not support wear leveling. And a simple USB stick does not support wear leveling.

However speed should be "good" if you use a fast USB stick and not a slow one, like 90% are. Still the transfer rates are limited to something around 30MB/s and the access times will be much better than the access times of a HDD but worse than a SSD. So boot up should be fast, file transfer slow.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

well Frank, find the evidence, but i've tried in the past, unless that has been changed w/ Windows 7, its not possible.

5. Frank

well, after a short search I haven't found a guide which explains how to do this with Win 7. But it's possible with Win XP and also with Win Vista, so maybe you could try the Vista way, just use Win 7 instead, maybe it will work.
    But still, it will be difficult and you'll have to invest a lot of time, and maybe won't work as good as on a real hard disk. So why? Better create a second partition or use a virtual PC if you want to try Win 7.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Am i the only one who saw this?

Yes it can be done from a external HDD. It wont be as fast, as it is limited to the speed available by the USB connector, but it is possible.

EDIT: all you have to do is boot from the windows cd, and create a partition on the external drive. I currently have on my old Ipod Video (30gb) windows xp. All i have to do is set "boot from removable device"" to the first one on my boot order.

7. Frank

Yes :D

Well, then the only problem is the slow USB connection :) And maybe that it's a removeable device and thus you still have to apply some tweaks.

8. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

No tweaks are necessary, just use the method i said in the previous post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.