Windows 7 Video Stutter

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by arglebargle2, May 27, 2009.

1. arglebargle2

arglebargle2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had any issues with the ati video drivers running on windows 7 x64?

I searched but did not find anything.

I have a tx2510 and when browsing websites with lots of complicated video elements, it stutters when I scroll up and down. It did not do this before with Vista.

Also when playing back video with mpc, it stutters very badly. But when using wmp it does not.

I had the issue with catalyst 9.4 and I am also having the issue with 9.5.

2. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

This might sound stupid but try lowering the 3d settings in catalyst control center. I swear it gained me a few fps in youtube hd videos. Wmp has hardware acceleration enabled so that may have something to do with it also. Also try using Google Chrome browser, I find it much faster than firefox. I'm running 32bit though.

Is your catalyst unresponsive? Mine is sometimes. I'm running the 9.4beta I think.

3. ctodd111

ctodd111 Pen Pal - Newbie

My Toshiba M400 with Windows 7 beat x32 was doing the same thing -- it doesn't seem to be as bad with the RC version. I will need to look and see what video drivers I have. I thought I was starting to develop a hardware problem...

4. arglebargle2

arglebargle2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Catalyst seems fine to me, fairly responsive.

Interestingly, VLC does not stutter on playback.

I will give chrome a chance to see if there is any difference. Right now IE8 and Firefox both seem to have problems.

5. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I never noticed any stuttering issues with my 2710p, but here's my take.

The drivers are still in the beta stage, so it is possible that the drivers are just not up to par yet, causing the stuttering issue. Give it a while any apply any video driver updates you can find in the meantime.

6. gomichaelkgo

gomichaelkgo Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a tx2z with win7 pre-installed. The drivers are no longer in beta. I can report that Firefox still stutters when finger scrolling. IE8 does not have this behavior. Does this indicate a driver problem?

7. gomichaelkgo

I just downloaded the newest driver (11/17/09) and the catalyst control center. Here is a video showing the stutter in Firefox and that there is no stutter in IE8.

I am finger scrolling on the same webpage (reader.google.com) with IE8 and Firefox. Note that Firefox has jitter or stutter with finger scrolling on the tx2z.

Any ideas? This happens on many different websites.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. gomichaelkgo

Problem Solved! After I upgraded to the new Firefox 3.6, there is no stutter when finger scrolling. Also, panning with your finger now works on maps.google.com whereas before it would activate the zoom feature on the map when you drug your finger across the map.

9. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

I dunno, I switched to 64 bit win 7 and now it seems that 32 bit firefox is having a few problem areas, mainly it freezes for a second when it starts to download, also there's stuttering on starting the browser.

however minefield (64 bit alpha release of firefox) runs perfectly and does everything noticeably faster, but it has no flash support so I can't use it as my default.

also some of my games that ran fine 32 bit show stuttering and no improvement from 64 win 7, even with my ram upgrade that showed a performance increase in 32 bit win7.

at this rate I might switch back to 32 bit though,
    -Tyler

10. carrickbay

carrickbay Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.
    window 7 is the new realese of microsoft window's platform which have all the qualities of window vista and more over it is more hardware friendly ,fast and far more reliable and for the gaming and graphic solutions it have the direct x 11 support which is a new revolution in gaming industry