Windows 7 touch pack question.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by FC1032, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello all,

I am getting more and more excited by win7. The touch pack seems to be a REALLY interesting package (seems more fun than origami:p )

So far i've only seen the touch pack run on multitouch tablets. But since there are alot of non-multitouch tablets, will the touch pack run on them too (e.g will it run on the toshiba m750, HP tx2500 etc etc)? Or will manufactures update all tablets to multitouch (Just wondering :D )

Many thanks,
    FC1032

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

the current resistive screens are incapable of multitouch, there is a newer/ modified touchscreen that is capable of multitouch, but i'm not sure if it's actually been released, and if the software that allows multitouch in windows 7 is compatible with it.

The current resistive tablets cannot be "updated" or "upgraded" to multitouch.

3. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

This is not really true. The Dell Tablet allows multitouch. Now, I do not think that touch is all that important in computers but this is a craze that we will hve to go through. Touch is overrated also in handhelds and smartphones but fashion is fashion.

4. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

The Dell XT is capacitative. So is the HP TX2.

Touch isn't really important for desktop computers (but still nice to have), but it's actually a very good feature for mobile computing. If done well it could really improve the user interaction, and without the cost of having a special pen.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

as primexx mentioned the Dell XT & TX2 use capacitive screens NOT resistive screens, i stand by my original statement, none of the current resistive screens can be upgraded to multitouch.

That includes the screens of the Toshiba m700, Lenovo x61 & x200 & Hp tx2000/2500/2600 models.

6. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

For info, the "Windows 7 Touch Pack" is also only being made available (according to current info) to OEMs; thus, it'll be pre-installed on new multi-touch computers only and not available to current owners, unfortunately.

7. FC1032

Wow thats pretty depressing... so no touch pack for older tablets users... oh well, but by then maybe i can get a new tablet =)

I'll wait until toshiba makes a new tablet with multi-touch (thats probably gonna be a longggg time)

Thanks for the info, its very informative =)

8. FC1032

Hi!

I've downloaded the touch pack, it doesnt run on the M750 (it does install though!), it detects that it is not capable of multitouch and does not let me go any further.

Is there a way to by pass this message? I've read somewhere you can just test with your trackpad??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.