Windows 7 SP1 Info

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by dceggert, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Microsoft has released Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. Here is a run down of the information:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is Released: But Should You Install It? - How-To Geek

Like the article states, if you have kept up on all the MS Updates then this is just an optional installation.

There are some new features and here are the new feature highlights:

" New Features in Service Pack 1

There’s not a ton of great new stuff in SP1, at least from the perspective of the end user. Here’s the quick list of stuff that might maybe matter to you:

• Improved HDMI audio device performance: there’s a small update that helps reliability of HDMI audio devices after rebooting. This is listed as a feature in the release notes, but really feels like a bug fix.
    • Corrected behavior when printing mixed-orientation XPS documents: If you’re trying to print XPS documents that have landscape and portrait pages in the same document, now they will print correctly. All 5 of you can now rejoice.
    • Change to behavior of “Restore previous folders at logon” functionality: If you used the “Restore previous folders at logon” feature in Folder Options, the folders would restore into a cascaded set of windows. Now they will restore to where they were.
    • Support for Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX): supports a newer processor extension that improves performance for floating point intensive applications.
    • Improved Support for Advanced Format (512e) Storage Devices: hard drive manufacturers are transitioning to a new 4KB physical sector size, and now Windows 7 supports this better.

There’s a lot of other bugfixes and security fixes, but these are the most notable ones according to Microsoft’s documentation. "

2. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Interesting.
    I normally keep up with my updates anyway but of the short list you posted the improvement to HDMI audio my be useful to my HTPC which will sometimes decide to stop sending audio after waking from hibernation.
    Here's hoping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.