Windows 7 Screen Rotation : Fail on R1F

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just installed the RC and screen rotation is not working. I know that installing the latest Vista driver will likely work, but if someone has a better idea, I'd like to hear a suggestion.

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Screen rotation on most tablets are determined by the manufacturer's software. Unless asus released a win7 beta version of their software/ driver, you must use the vista one.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

screen rotation is normally determined by graphics drivers, not necessarily by software. Not sure of the string in the inf for the Intel GMA Drivers to get rotation working though.

Something to investigate (when i'm more awake)

So in the Lenovo Intel Graphics inf for the gma 965 there is the following entry: (kit3022.inf)

from the Asus 32 bit driver for the R1F:

Those inf's control what gets written to the registry, and in turn how your screen will behave, so based on that i think you should also be able to edit the registry as Grimnir did for the T5010. Before you try this however i'd advise setting a restore point as a safeguard.

Window Key + R
    type regedit
    then browse to the following subkey:
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TabletPC\DisplayOrientations

I think you could also following his guide here directly, which is where the modifications are taken from.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. ericisshort

ericisshort Pen Pal - Newbie

There really isn't any need for all of that. I accidentally found a much easier solution:

iRotate.

iRotate is a FREE program that uses about 900K of memory per monitor and provides hotkeys to perform the rotation. But guess what? It also makes the Asus Screen Rotation functions work like they are supposed to. Yes, both the automatic screen rotation and the button below the lcd screen now work on my R1F. I don't know why it works, but frankly, I don't care.

Otherwise, I have not noticed any problems whatsoever with Windows 7 RC1 on my R1F. I did a OEM Restore, waited for Windows Update to update through SP1, and then inserted the install disk. Super easy and not a single problem.:D

5. bsasso

bsasso Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tip with Irotate, it work well as a software and the key combinations, but not when I rotate the screen or the botton on the screen (Asus r1f). What version of irotate do you have? Is there any configuring needed?
    Thanks

6. ericisshort

ericisshort Pen Pal - Newbie

That's weird. For me it was just plug and play. I'm using iRotate v1.37, and I did a full factory restore (F9 or F10 in BIOS startup) before the upgrade to win7.

7. KidDynamic

KidDynamic Sketch & Doodle

Hey, that worked for my Toshiba Satellite R15. Sort of.

I kludged together the info from TigerLily and the stuff she's quoted, including this tutorial.

However, none of it directly applied to my situation. I had to write the registry entries from scratch. But believe it or not, it works!

I'm working up a blog post about it right now. I'll post a link when it's ready.

As for iRotate, I might just try that out. The Rotation app Toshiba has for Vista doesn't work in Win7, so it doesn't automatically rotate when I convert to tablet format.

KD

8. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

I just wanted to drop a note and say that this problem has long been solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.