Windows 7 RC + HP tc4200

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by billc595, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Pen Pal - Newbie

Well ... if anyone wants to know ...

I upgraded my HP tc4200 from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 RC (via MSDN).

Upgrade went OK ... the only complaints it had was the HP TPM security app.

The strangest part was that I had to re-install the Wacom Vista driver again as I lost ability to rotate.

Handwriting is a breeze.

It seems a little more responsive than Vista ... though it is using aprox the same amount of memory.

I will keep playing with it :D

2. dxqcanada

OK, I am beginning to like this Windows 7.

I have not had much experience with tablets ... I momentarily had Windows XP Tablet ... then wiped it. Then installed Windows Vista Ultimate ... then it upgraded it to Windows 7. All this within 7 days.

My work computer runs Vista Business ... and I am not happy with it.
    It is an AMD Turion 64x2 with 4GB ram.

My HP TC4200 is only a Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz with 2 GB ram ... with Windows 7 is it very responsive ... as good as Windows XP, even through it is using 50% more memory.

3. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

hey ,

upgraded the tc4200 to W7 ,but have a problem though.

How did you get the tablet buttons to work while in tablet mode ( the three that make rotation,journal & i forgot!

Nothing happens on mine when touch them with the pen

4. dxqcanada

Re-install the Wacom driver (download it from their website)

5. jason-cowboy

jason-cowboy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got a question. I am thinking of upgrading from XP to Win 7, but it appears that my graphics card will not support the Aero interface. Did you have the same issue? If so, how do you like Win 7 without the Aero "eye-candy"?

Would you recommend Win 7 for the HP tc4200 Tablet PC?

Thanks

6. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

You cannot upgrade from XP to Win7. You would need to do a full clean install. And do not worry about your graphics card. Even if "Aero" is not fully supported, this eye candy is the least of the advantages of Win7. There are many other advances in the OS that would make it a worthy upgrade. Just find out if HP would be rolling out any Win7 drivers for your machine. The Vista drivers would work, if they are available.

Win7 is not really too demanding of hardware. One can run Win7 Ultimate on a netbook!!! (although MS would be offering only the Win7 Starter for these machines). But many have installed and are running successfully Win7 on 5-6 year old systems

7. dxqcanada

adretzios is correct. You can only upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.
    You cannot even upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM.

Yes, my tc4200 does not have a good enough graphics adapter to support Aero. I didn't install Windows 7 for fancy desktop stuff. I turn off all fancy graphic stuff. It is about the features and performance.

Windows 7 is better than Vista. I would prefer XP ... but it does not seem to have the advanced Tablet capabilities.

8. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

First of all, XP is an extremely limited OS when compared to Vista and Win7. Some seem comfortable with it, I am not. It is archaeology at this stage.

Now, you can upgrade Win7 RC to Win7 RTM provided that the RTM version you are working with is the Ultimate. All you need to do is change a text file. It is very simple. If you are interested, I will give you further details.

9. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Basically if your computer is capable of running Vista, there will be no problem on 7.

10. dxqcanada

adretzios ... too late.

I knew about the change ... but I thought I would do a clean installation, as I did not have anything vital that I could not re-install ... and I had the time to do it.

Even though Windows 7 RTM is using much more memory than an XP install, it is very responsive. The only application that fails to install is AutoCAD 2005.