Windows 7 RC 7100 on TX, experiences...

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jul 17, 2009.

1. trihy

trihy Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, Im using the latest version of windows 7 on a tx, and I have some greats, regular and bad things to share. :)

The best thing I notice running win 7 on tx2500, is heat, a lot less. In saver profile, I had constant fan rising speed. On win 7 I barely notice the fan kicking in(using ocassional web browser, mail, youtube), on the other side, on vista it was almost always at first speed, not so noisy, but disturb a lot.

The start time, well, vista really was a disaster in this area. Win7 starts a lot faster, and responsive without wait like 5 minutes :eek: :rolleyes:

Also I didn´t notice the stupid constant hdd use from vista (besides partially manual fixes) really, vista is broken.

IE 8 have some troubles, sometimes when I close it, give some errors, like ie8 stop working...but hey, after all, i closed it :D

The rest of the system is working pretty good, no additional drivers used. wacom, wifi, bt, ati, windows recognized all. The only thing that doesn´t work from start, is the fingerprint reader, but in windows update, there is a driver for it (I didn´t tested cause I hate touching the fingerprint accidentally)

I hope all here, can share experiences with this RC or newer ones.

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

great to hear, thanks for the info! Planning to reinstall and try the RC later this week.

3. trihy

I´ll continue testing.

Vista for me, is a no, at least in this tabletpc. I enjoy using saver profile, but vista can´t work with 500mhz. Lag here, lag there, its all about lag. I dont know is SP2 could make a difference, I dont think so.

To people installing win 7, dont forget to test aero shake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DgaGwle7mg Not all in the video, you can also move a windows to the left or right, and it will go half screen vertically. Move a window to top screen, and it will be a full screen. Dont know if there are more gestures.

Thats not a lot usefull, but maybe, sometimes :)

4. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't see why something like aero shake would be so exciting
    ubuntu has been doing things like that for years
    and they have been doing it better
    and for free..

good news about the heat issue though

5. Robinett

Robinett Pen Pal - Newbie

For those of you with the tx2, you'll have to either hold off on the RC or multitouch.

I have the beta with multitouch and I just installed the RC on a second hard drive. Touch input is extremely bad and installing the beta multitouch drivers shot touch input completely. Combine that with no pen input for the beta multitouch drivers makes for an extremely useless install. Didn't do any hardware harm, though. I just put the other hard drive back in and kept going.

Touch and pen input with factory firmware is indeterminate since I have no way to roll back to factory firmware.

Apparently, N-Trig removed the beta multitouch drivers for a good reason.

6. trihy

Well, aero shake is not that important, I just noted this, cause a lot of people dont even know is there.

I see that on tx2 multitouch or touch features are not so good. In tx2000 or 2500 series, wacom works great without installing any drivers. It allows touch or pen calibration from the start. Better than the vista experience.

7. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

Fingerprint - I had to uninstall the W7 driver and use the HP one. The fingerprint progrtam wouldn't work with the W7 program.

Rest of it seems OK. W7 didn't recognise the infrared - but the HP driver worked OK.

I still don't like the new toolbar and the way Sidebar works but there are workarounds. At the moment I'm dual booting with Vista.

Alan

8. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Will try 7 on my PC as soon i could get access to it again.

And will post my experience with it.

9. Mdb17

Mdb17 Pen Pal - Newbie

i installed windows 7 and had a few issuses that reinstalling drivers fixed. but there was one issue i couldnt fix. i cant seem to get the screen to rotate when i put it in tablet mode got any ideas?

10. Luthian

Luthian Pen Pal - Newbie

You have to install the HP Quick Launch Buttons Software (vista version works) and then MCSVActn.dll with the older 6.3.5.1 version (at least thats the only way that it works properly for me)

I've been using the RC and so far its been fantastic, though clean installs usually are (at least for awhile) I want to see how its doing a month from now, if its still as good then I'll be (even more) impressed.