Windows 7 on TC1100... Very impressed

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by seti007, Nov 13, 2008.

1. aleunge

aleunge Pen Pal - Newbie

WINDOWS 7 WACOM TABLET DRIVER

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I think it might be important as I've found a newer Windows 7 driver from Wacom that works perfectly. Not sure if everyone knows this yet as I haven't seen it talked about, for the Wacom Tablet (Penabled) driver, I find that a newer one works much much better in Windows 7. The driver version is 5.21.6 and it's actually supposedly fully WHQL tested and '''Windows 7 certified''' (the one we always used in Win XP Tablet is 5.08.2 and XP). Not only do you get to use your stylus much faster (earlier at the login page), you also get your regular cursor back for applications like Photoshop (CS4 tested). With the older driver, in things like photoshop, you maintain your dot cursor always and whenever you press on the screen for a while (as in during a brush stroke!), you get a right click. Wacom updated this for better use in PS, etc.

More importantly, I've observed much less crashes immediately (first reboot) after calibrating the screen and have not seen the "Tablet driver did not load" pop up window after logging in (in which the stylus does not work after). Also, using 5.08.2, the mapping of my stylus and the cursor is pretty aff up in portrait mode and sometimes even in landscape mode. It only maps a tiny portion of the screen or does some weird mirroring effect. All in all, this newer driver seems actually compatible with no problems so far. Besides, no more setting Compatibility Modes with Pen_Tablet.exe.

Some peeps have reported problems with multiple user accounts with 5.08.2. I have not tested multiple user logins since I only have one user account. Sorry, I can't comment if that problem is fixed or not.

You can probably find the driver on the Wacom site (although not under Penabled or Tablet PC download pages). But I got mine here (yeah it's a bit strange but I was doing massive googling after using 5.08.2 with so many hiccups and came across this): http://www.my-volito.com/volito/driver.asp?lang=en Driver 5.21-6 for Windows 7, Vista (32 and 64 bit) and XP. And here is to the direct file ftp://ftp.wacom-europe.com/pub/WINDOWS/cons521-6_int.exe

Hope this helps.:p

2. seti007

seti007 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lately Ive been noticing that windows7 RTM was getting slow when it came to writing with the pen. I figured that it may be because of all the programs i have installed on it. So, I proceeded to do a clean install of win 7 retail DVD. However, i still have the same problem. Seems like anytime I try to write using the pen, it is always a few letters behind. While typing, I don't see the actual letters I am typing for a few seconds and its driving me nuts. I have tried disabling any unnecessary services or other programs from starting up but no joy. I noticed someone else earlier on in this thread complained of th is same exact problem. Has anyone else experienced this and what solutions have you been able to come up with?
    BTW. my TC1100 has 2Gigs of ram and a 1.2GHz processor and the prior versions of windows 7 beta worked great as stated in my original thread.

UPDATE: Looks like I figured it out. The new driver from wacoms website was the problem. I downloaded the wacom digitizer driver from HPs website and installed it using win xp compatibility and running as admin. Now I can write quite fast without it lagging.

3. john_kattenhorn

john_kattenhorn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Has anyone expected this problem with the latest Watcom Driver ? I've installed Windows 7 and the Watcomm driver but have a problem with Calibration.

I can't use the Left Hand (in Landscape) or the Top (in Portrait) on the screen; the pen is not reconised and even doing a calibration means that i cannot click on the crosses in those areas.

I've used the remove all users settings and tried the different versions of the Watcomm driver but not luck so far.

Has anyone had this issue before ?

4. Pieero

Pieero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

@john_kattenhorn : I encounter the same problem as you describe.

@aleunge : I'd like to know if you still manage to do calibration after you install the 5.21.6 drivers

Here is my experimentations:
    I'm testing different Drawing softwares:
    - corel Painter 11
    - ArtRage Starter Edition 2.5
    - Illustrator CS4 (AI)
    - Photoshop CS5 (PS)

and different driver configurations:
    - Windows 7 standard driver
    screenshot
    - Wacom SID HID for Tablet PC 508.2
    screenshot
    - Wacom Penabled Driver 5.21.6(a)
    screenshot
    - Wacom Penabled Driver 6.15.3(a)
    screenshot

With drivers 1 and 2, W7 recognize the pointer as a stylus, with a little 4 branch stars. Calibration is possible.
    only ArtRage can use pressure.

With driver 1 Corel Painter, AI, and PS do not recognize any device with pressure sensitivity (eg. on AI pressure is greyed -not available- in brush settings)

With driver 2 Corel Painter, AI, and PS recognize the device as pressure sensitive but cannot use it (there is thresold under what nothing is drawn and then a constent size/transparency is used on the brush)

With drivers 3 and 4, only ArtRage does not recognize pressure. I can't do calibration any more. W7 does not provide automatically writing panel or virtual keyboard. my cursor is a mouse and not a 4 branch star anymore (I would say W7 does not recognize it as a stylus)
    In this case, you cannot use your stylus when W7 prompt you for a security/administration validation.

For an every day use I prefer getting PS and AI working, but the missing of calibration make some gap when going closer to the edge of the screen.

This is what I experiment, let me know what is your case.

@aleunge : This would be great I you coudl test the same softwares.

Cheers.

Pieero

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. mliviu

mliviu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I have a tc1100 and I have problems installing the network controller on windows 7. Can somedy help me please. I installed the intel pro wireless 2100 3b but seems to not work on windows 7. can somebody help me please.

6. Pieero

Pieero Pen Pal - Newbie

mliviu :

Can you tell us more about your problem, did you manage to install the driver.
    Is your wireless enabled (third green led) , If not you can enable it through Qmenu.

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I don't know where you are about that.

cheers

7. evernic

evernic Pen Pal - Newbie

my tc100 meet the same prob.

8. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

So is there a driver that gives pressure sensitivity in photoshop and art rage under win7? I have tried several drivers and even lost my q menu. No matter how I reinstalled I couldn't get it back. Finally system restore saved me. I won't be trying that again any time soon.

So back to my question.. has ANYONE gotten this to work properly in photoshop? I've been gettin a delay, almost like lag and my round circles I tried to draw sometimes turns to straight lines. Pressure sensitivey is set but doesn't work so far.

If anyone can tell me what they used under Win 7 and the steps they used to install it would be great. Thanks!