Windows 7 on 2710p

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by EmailGuy, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajreynol

ajreynol Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry about the slowness to respond.

1.) Underclocked the CPU with RMClock
    http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

cpu is using approx 25% less power now. I also set it so that on battery life, it runs at a lower power-consumption setting 100% of the time.

2.) Installed TuneUp Utilities 2009 (fantastic program) and let it turn off unnecessary Windows features and startup apps.
    http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Honestly, it should be on every computer you own.

3.) Disabled drive indexing (right-click the HDD in 'My Computer' and uncheck the indexing). This keeps HDD activity to a minimum.

4.) Under advanced power options, I set the system cooling to "passive" when on battery life.

5.) I feel like I did more stuff, but I can't remember. will update if I think of more things I did.

If anyone needs help or more detail on those, I'll be glad to supply. With that setup, I'm getting about 4:20 with light use (web browsing, Word). I'll test it out with web + word + windows media player next. and last with just windows media player playing a movie.

Anyway, Question for Windows 7 RC users: has anyone been able to activate pressure sensitivity in apps that enable it for Walcom-based touch screens? I've tried installing and uninstalling several Walcom drivers and following a few different sets of instructions to no avail. I think this is just about the last feature that I can't get to work.

For the record, I've tried the following drivers:

-Windows 7 RC default
    -HP-supplied for Win Vista 64-bit
    -5.03-3g
    -5.05-7
    -5.11-1
    -6.11-3

on the following apps:

Adobe Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Illustrator CS4

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. HinHale

HinHale Pen Pal - Newbie

No go for me either with those drivers, but strangely enough I get pressure sensitivity using inkscape. I´ll have to do some further investigation. If however I do get it to work I´ll report back, and would appreciate if you´d do the same.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. ajreynol

i see.

Also, pressure sensitivity works in Paint.NET

http://www.getpaint.net/

looks really cool. but I found one of the options menus in Illustrator CS4 and it's grayed out.

am a sad panda.

4. ajreynol

Update: Got this e-mail from Wacom in response to my questions about some programs and pressure in Win 7.

"While we don’t have any drivers that are supported on tablet pc’s currently, you would normally be able to use the 5.1.0 Bamboo Fun driver in place of your current HP driver, though because you’re running Windows 7 this will not be compatible. Our current 5.1.1 driver does work rather well with Windows 7 at the moment but from the information that I’ve gathered it does not contain any tablet pc functionality. Keep an eye on the downloads section of our website should our programmers here happen to release a tablet pc driver in the future."

guess we'll have to wait.

5. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone heard any updates on this? I have everything but an "Unknown" device and pressure sensitivity working in the HP 2710p.

The Unknown device isn't a big deal...but I'd like to have pressure sensitivity.

6. ajreynol

not that I know of yet.

but I won't expect anything until after October.

as for the pressure sensitivity...it depends on the program right now. for example...try it in Paint.NET. you'll find that pressure sensitivity works.

7. ajreynol

formatted and installed Win 7 Pro.

Everything went smoothly. I was concerned that because HP ProtectTools couldn't install (currently incompatible) I wouldn't be able to use the fingerprint reader to log into Windows. Then I found that Windows 7 comes with a built-in fingerprint program for those duties. :D

all but 6 pieces of hardware are recognized, FYI, and are installed with the following drivers from the HP drivers section for the 2710p/2730p:

3D Drive Guard
    Presto!
    Richo Smart Card Driver
    Sonix Camera
    Wacom Digitizer
    HP Quicklaunch
    Bluetooth
    AMT LMS-SOL (will be one of the final 2 unrecognized. extract the drivers by running the app, taking note of where it is going to extract, then do an "Update Driver" in Device Manager to install)

AMD MEI Driver (will be the final unrecognized. extract the drivers by running the app, taking note of where it is going to extract, then do an "Update Driver" in Device Manager to install)

all drivers will have been installed properly. be sure to do all windows updates before installing these components.

profit!

8. dougpaw57

dougpaw57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed Windows 7 RC 64-bit on my 2710P with 4GB of RAM and the only things I installed were LMS-SOL, MEI and HP Quicklaunch for the screen rotation.

9. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the pressure sensitivity working using the same fix for the tx and it works great.

10. ajreynol

I've never had only one or two things to install. whether I was installing the RC or full version.

I was running Win 7 RC (x64) before and I'm running Win 7 Pro (x64) now.

Maybe the equipment in these 2710p's vary.

uh...wanna share?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.