Windows 7 nightmare

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by leaftye, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I've never done an upgrade.

I did not have two antivirus programs running.

I don't need VMware, I could use any virtualization program, but I have it, so that's what I'm using. I also don't need to virtualize, but it presents fewer obstacles when I need to start over. Since the base OS is uncomplicated, I shouldn't ever have to reinstall that. Is running a VM slow? Oh yes, but it's fast enough for me. I'll probably only upgrade when my hardware gets so old that it's less expensive to replace broken hardware with lots of new hardware. That's what happened with my old PC.

Anyway, it seems that somehow my last installation somehow went awry. I like Win7 when it works, and so far it's working. My jury is still out as to its stability. Hopefully it goes very well as I'd like to use it on my next tablet.

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I have similar episodes with my processor maxing out on both cores for a brief but irritating second. It disrupts video and audio and makes listening to iTunes a big head ache. I discovered the cure by watching the system resource monitors. Every time it happens one program would shoot to the top of the list. It shows it only accounts for 5% of CPU usage but, that's an average. Shutting down the app solved the issue. Since the program is my backup software - Carbonite, I have to remember to disable it prior to listening to music or watching movies. Carbonite tech support suggested lowering its program to low priority but that did not help. It still takes both cores to max for a brief second. This occurred on both RC and a fresh install of Win 7 Pro x86 I did this week.

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Positive it's not malware. Using a MSDN windows 7 x64 disk and installed Kaspersky Internet Security the moment the installation finished. This is happening upon a fresh installation, using the latest drivers and windows updates.

Under the same scenario using 7 x86, it will not do this :S

Mine Goes straight to 100%, thus locking up the system. I've tried looking for the app causing it, but to no avail.

4. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

MSE is also an Antivirus. If you have both KIS and MSE running, so yes you had two AV running.

I wonder why people equalise upgrade install to bad install.

I had done an in-place upgrade from Vista to 7, pretty much everything is working fine.

Well, given that you do follow the MS & OEM specific instructions prior and after installation (I.e. uninstalling bad program/driver), and mind you there are just some bad programs that aren't listed on the instructions. :p

Anyhow, back to topic.
    @OP In case you haven't redone the installation, I'm curious on what your Event Viewer says. Maybe some clue on what causing the error events?

From my exp. KIS does have some glitch, especially on performance issue, I'd try to run the clean install without KIS for some times and compare the OS after installing KIS.

And turn on either KIS or MSE, don't run both.

Good luck.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You are much more likely to have issues and conflicts with an upgrade vs a clean install.

6. leaftye

My first post says I uninstalled Kaspersky. Geez, I know I can come off as an idiot sometimes, but come on, this is ridiculous!

It's like this. I've been in Florida, and I am in California, but I say that I have left Florida and am not in both places at once. So while in some parallel science fiction universe it may be possible for me to be in both places at once, how about listening to me when I say that I'm only in one place?

I hope you're not jumping to this conclusion from my post. While I would say that a clean install is likely to be more stable because there should be fewer things to go wrong due to the simplicity of the installation, it's entirely possible that an upgrade would be just as stable. That said, I still have never done an upgrade, and I certainly haven't done an upgrade and clean install at the same time. The main reason for this is that my home computers have always become too much of a hassle to repair, and a big risk to try upgrading a system that won't run on its own, thus providing a good reason to do a clean install.

As for work computers, upgrades would happen in big batches. When they came into the shop, I didn't care what was on them, it was getting a clean install that's nearly exactly the same as everyone else. It was military though, so it was easy to tell people that whatever they stored for work should be on the servers, and that their personal files were not my concern.

I already reinstalled cleanly, and I only saved one error, which in laymen's terms said "explorer.exe + kernel.dll = boom, splat, you lose". There were lots of other errors though.

7. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

True, I've also had some problem on doing in-place upgrade, but if it's haven't fubared yet, I'd rather fix than doing re-install.

Ouch, my bad, sorry for being idiot, I failed to read the "since uninstalled" line. :eek:

8. leaftye

No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to reply even if we misunderstood each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.