Windows 7 Issue/Solution Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Naterade, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just spend the wekend playing with Win7 and have to say that so far I am very impressed.

I only received my TX2500z during the week (Ultra 2.1, 3Gb and 320Gb) but I have to say I've been very unimpressed with the performance. Even after removing all the bloatware I could it was still sluggish and there were still dozens of processes floating around. Simple surfing, iTunes and YouTube was noticeably worse than my previous XPS M1330.

Win7 was a tad tricky to burn, but installed without a hitch. Everything I use worked from the get go except Quicklaunch, and that did after an easy driver download. I have touch and pen and both work with Win7.

I don't need the fingerprint stuff, Quickplay etc.

The only issue I have had is when trying to sync my iTunes libray with AppleTV. So far the connection has broken midway through each time I have tried. My Airport has been flaky int he past so I'll hesitate befoer blaming Win7.

At the moment I have half the processes I used to and considerably better speed. Perhaps I could have gotten similar results with a clean Vista install, but the difference is dramatic.

2. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

I cannot believe it took me so long to hop on the 7 bandwagon...

So after some work last night and this morning, I have installed the official beta of Windows 7. Overall, the only drivers that I had to install were:
    Wacom (for pen button customization)
    ATI (auto-rotate)
    Realtek Audio (mute button light)
    Realtek Card Reader (correct icons for removable drives)
    Quicklaunch (rotate button and mobility center button)
    Synaptics (horizontal scroll)
    IR driver (that little remote thingy)
    (all drivers from the HP Vista driver directory)

I guess I could get that YouCam thingy too if I wanted, but it doesn't seem nessesary...

On a new note, I have yet to be impressed by Windows 7. I thing the new taskbar is easy to adjust to, but I see no need for the innovation; I didn't have an issue with either XP or Vista's taskbar. Also, the start times are the same in not slower that my optimized Vista installation. I could see that maybe the new improvements may be good for the not-so tech-savvy, but for those of us who can keep an optimized Vista install running, I don't see the point. (even with all this, I will probably end up buying 7 when it releases:))

EDIT:
    Wait, I just realized that my fan isn't running, and hasn't been running, and my memory usage is below a gig with firefox running... I guess those could be considered pretty useful improvements.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm having a few problems. I tried to load Inkseine and it won't install for me, although others have it working. Also Smart-burn won't work. I says the STPD driver won't install. Finaly IE8 is buggy on many pages I use regularly. TIP is much better. And performance is very good.

4. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

The people who make the stpd driver for cd/dvd virtualisation are refusing to make a driver for windows 7 till its actually released.

Havn't really had a problem with IE8 page rendering (with compat mode for the odd site) and a move to common standards is only a good thing... but the win7 build of IE8 seems to stop responding far more then the vista build ever did =(

5. nevarDeath

nevarDeath Phone Expert

Nah, I made my recovery discs and wiped out the recovery partition, I'd rather have that extra 12GB for myself :)

To see your vista partition in win7, click the windows button, right-click on Computer, then select 'Manage'. Now double-click 'Storage' in the main pane. Now click 'Disk management' Then just right-click on your vista partition and select 'Change Drive letter and path' then you can assign a drive letter you want, or leave the preselected one and hit ok. Wait a minute or two, and it'll assign that partition a drive letter! If you want to see your win7 partition in Vista, just do the same thing. Please not this only works for windows partitions. If you want to access a Mac partition, use MacDrive, it's the best. I haven't figured out how to access a linux one yet.

6. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

Anyone have the issue of the Wacom drivers getting lost after about 5-7 reboots? Mine seem to do that. I have the ones direct from the HP Vista driver page.

7. milanorex

milanorex Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep I have the uninstalled wacom driver problem as well.. I just installed drivers direct from the wacom website, hopefully they work a little better than the ones from HP.

8. drshakawa

drshakawa Pen Pal - Newbie

For problems with the Wacom driver, I found that I had to update my graphic driver for that to fix itself.

And I'd recommend the Wacom Driver from HP cuz I don't believe the one from the Wacom website supports touch features.

9. milanorex

milanorex Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably not, but the pen drivers would uninstall themselves after a few reboots.. so far, the wacom drivers from their site have been working great!

10. nevarDeath

nevarDeath Phone Expert

My touch drivers were automatically installed with win7 and I've not lost them once