Windows 7: Handwriting doesn't work

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by ralfe, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralfe

ralfe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello board,

I've testing the beta 1 of Windows 7 x64 and it work's fine except that the handwriting recognition doesn't work :-(

I have a tablet pc from clevo (TN120R) which has a touchscreen. Windows 7 have installed the driver for it and the windows says that tablet pc features are available (Win+Pause).

Then I open the tablet input panel (tip) and began with writing nothing happens. It's like the tip doesn't recognize the pen because then I using the mouse pad it works.

Anything else (like rotating the monitor) works fine. The device manager don't show any problems.

By the way: Vista drivers doesn't help.

Thanks in advance.

Greets, Ralf

PS: I hope my English is understandable ;-)

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It works fine for me. Remove the tablet features from your system and reinstall it. See if that helps. Also make sure that the pen device driver is listed in device manager.

3. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

the Win7 beta I'm playing with (build 7000) works pretty well on my machine in a VirtualBox machine, including pen/handwriting functions and OneNote 2007. I'm waiting for the 'real' win7 to be released in August (maybe.....) before I decide whether or not to change/upgrade machines.

4. ralfe

ralfe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replay. But my pen is a simple griffle and not a "modern" stylus so this isn't a device (Vista included).

I will try the reinstallation of the tablet pc components.

5. ralfe

ralfe Pen Pal - Newbie

The reinstallation of the tablet pc components doesn't improve the situation :-(

6. ek0892

ek0892 Pen Pal - Newbie

IN FRENCH : il faut impérativement calibrer la première fois avec l'utilitaire de Seven, car l'utilitaire Clevo ne fonctionne plus (et n'a plus d'utilité)

IN ENGLISH :
    IN ENGLISH: you must calibrate the first time with the utility software of Seven, because that no longer works (and no longer needed)

7. ralfe

ralfe Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem still exists in the RC (x64 and x86 tested).

I've contacted Clevo and my problem is caused by a driver problem and will be fixed. When an updated Windows 7 driver will be released was not mentioned.

Thanks for your invested time.

8. MrSeoul

MrSeoul Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick update for you:
    I, too, have a TN120R (rebranded 'Ripple') and it worked fine under Vista. I recently installed Win7 and found that the Vista driver installation disc that came with the machine did not work. I contacted Ripple A/S a month ago and was told there are no Win7 drivers at this point in time but maybe in November. I checked back again a few days ago - still no drivers. Lack of drivers has disabled the fingerprint reader, camera, and affected the bluetooth, handwriting. Have not yet tested the card reader nor the dvd burner.
    Tonight, I emailed Clevo directly regarding Win7 drivers and am awaiting a response. I could not find ANY Win7 drivers for this machine at their website.

9. MrSeoul

MrSeoul Pen Pal - Newbie

Received a response today from Clevo:

Dear Sir
    TN120R does not have any driver support for windows 7 OS, it is support VISTA and Win XP only.
    Thank you,

10. ralfe

ralfe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your response.

Windows 7 offers a fingerprint reader driver via Windows Update. For any other hardware device (except handwriting capabilities) work the Vista drivers.

Because my studies I need the tablet functionality and have bought the HP Elitebook 2730p and it works very well with Windows 7. I can really advice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.