Windows 7 DVD for HP 2740p

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Neverwinter, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got a new 2740p, but I don't have the OS disc to reinstall Win7 (64 bit). Is there someway to create an install disc? What about the applications and driver files disc?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Contact HP and they will send you a OS recovery disc (it has Win 7, and all the drivers in one disc), they might charge you about $20, but I think it would be worth it for most people to have a disc always on hand; and not needing to bother with the pain in the but it is to create your own recovery discs (yes, discs with a 's', when you use the Windows feature it uses 2-4 discs if I remember right, or a large usb drive -about 16GB- and it takes quite a bit of time, and it really isn't that effective)

But either way you have to have a dvd drive to connect to your 2740p if you are going to use a reinstall disc, I figure you know this already.

3. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Acquire a Windows 7 disc from anywhere, it will accept the serial on the bottom of your computer. There are also programs available that remove the ei.cfg file from the disc, allowing the disc to install any version of Windows 7 (i.e. a 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate with the ei.cfg removed will allow you to install any version of Windows 7 32-bit).

4. Neverwinter

Thanks for all the info. And I didn't know that about the ei.cfg file. I also didn't think about obtaining the Win7 disc from anywhere. I just don't know where, though... HP should just upload it to a server for people to download...

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

If you'd like to go with the clean install route (meaning OneNote, etc are not installed) as peterf describes, check out this thread on our sister site, NBR, regarding how to legally download Windows 7.

The thread also provides a link to a tool known as ABR to preserve your Windows 7 OEM activation.

6. Neverwinter

Thanks. This should be a big help. I hope it works. I currently don't have the time to do it, though...

7. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, I didn't know Microsoft had links up to the ISO images. Hidden, but still very nice. I can now tell people about these links instead of just telling them to obtain it from anywhere, which is usually a torrent or one of those file upload sites.

Microsoft really should just allow you to enter your serial in on their site and let you download it if you have a valid key.

EDIT: These are RTM ISOs, not the ISOs with SP1 integrated. Still good to know about, though.