Windows 7 Clean Install Instructions for x61t

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jywang, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Az2002

Az2002 Pen Pal - Newbie

UPDATE!
    I'm trying the new driver from Wacom

Tablet PC - Software

Till now, the pen/mouse freeze problem did not appear....
    The Touch option now very bad and cannot be calibrated, but I don't use touch... Pen is working great now!

Hopefully this will stay like This! :)

AZ

2. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I remember correctly, after a Win7 fresh install, I skipped an optional Winows Update for wacomm digitizer which stopped giving me problems. I actually made that hidden so I don't accidentally install that.

Then later on when I was using PFD Annotator, I noticed weird 1/4th size of icons following my pointer when I'm using my digitizer. I got tired of seeing that and then decided to go back to the factory original Vista Business using the recovery disc. I'm really pissed at how much time I had to spend with the digitizer/mouse click freezing problem.

Before the end of my 3 year warranty in June 2010, I sent my tablet couple times back and forth trying to fix this if it is a hardware problem. Lenovo wasn't able to fix it, instead I ended up with a screen replacement, followed by lid, palmrest, hinge, keyboard bezel replacement. The screen was the first thing that was replaced, but then they left so many scratches and marks, I complained and they replaced all the plastics and covers I mentioned. By the way, the screen is much better in contrast and color compared to the original from June 2007. I placed another 3M Vikuiti screen protector on. When I first saw the new screen, I noticed the color difference and I didn't see the thin layer anymore. So I thought they replaced it with a non-touch panel. But it was indeed the multitouch version. I wish they just replaced it with a non-multitouch, then it might have no problems with the digitizer.

Now I kind forgot the anger and frustration, I want to try Win7 again. Vista SP2 still crashes often, and is kind of slow even with intel x25m SSD and SATA2 bios. I'm on Vista since 11/18/2010 with reliability monitor scoring 7.14.

I guess most users who is following this install guide doesn't have multi-touch screen, or if they do, they don't use the digitizer.

3. llewyn

llewyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Several people have asked why the buttons were not working on their x61s under windows 7. Mine also did not work, until I reinstalled the drivers in the order specified in this thread. All of a sudden, the buttons work fine!

4. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Great to hear that. Did you install Win 7 64 or 32 bit? With SP1 integrated build or another?