Windows 7 Clean Install Instructions for x61t

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jywang, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

http://x61t.blogspot.com/

has been updated with clean install instructions for Windows 7:

The following instructions have been tested and will allow all the buttons on the X61t to function properly including auto rotate, pen, turbo memory, bluetooth, fingerprint and on screen display with the MINIMAL amount of Lenovo software installed.

1) Install Windows 7 RTM (Delete all partitions until you have just Disk 0 Unallocated Space to utilitize all of your disk space.)
    2) Run Windows Update to install the latest drivers INCLUDING the optional drivers. This should include Fingerprint driver, Video driver, and Audio driver, Bluetooth drivers, Trackpoint, Display driver. Reboot when updates are installed.
    3) Install the following IN ORDER. Please download from Lenovo's site.

1 LenovoSystemInterfaceDrivers (1.01.0805 / 7jif11ww)
    2 Turbo Memory ( 1.9.0.1006-8.8.0.1009/ 7zin73ww)
    3 HotKeyDriver (2.20.0001 / 6hvu20ww)
    4 PowerManagementDriver (1.53 / 6hku06ww)
    5 TabletButtonDriver (3.04 / 7jgk08ww)
    6 ShortcutMenu (5.04 / 7wg704ww)
    7 Multitouch Driver (3.0.0.3 / 7wgf06ww)
    8 ThinkVantageActiveProtection (1.70 / 6asa50ww google to find this beta driver)

OPTIONAL:

9 ThinkVantagePowerManager (2.50 / 6hu406ww)

I decided to not use Power Manager but it does work.

That's it!

-------------------

If an owner of a X200 can comment on whether the instructions work for that model, that would be helpful to the community. Thx.

2. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin Scribbler - Standard Member

That order is basically right. You will also need the fingerprint software driver and WWAN if you have those.

3. jywang

Windows Update is grabbing the fingerprint driver. Then it uses the biometric reader built into Windows 7 (see Biometric in Control Panel). So, I didn't see a need to install Lenovo's fingerprint software. I agree on the WWAN and also, if you don't have Turbo Memory, you can skip that.

4. jywang

Thanks for making this sticky.

This is a good article on where Lenovo's thoughts are on ThinkVantage and Windows 7:

http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=201

As you can see, even they recognize that many of their apps are no longer necessary in Windows 7.

5. jywang

In connecting my cell phone via Bluetooth, I noticed I was missing "Bluetooth Peripheral Device". Instead of installing the entire bluetooth software (7vbv03ww), I used "Update Driver" and pointed to the TPBTooth\Win32 and the driver was able to update and work properly.

6. enjoylife

enjoylife Pen Pal - Newbie

in fact, lenovo provided new updated drivers for windows 7.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=WIN7-BETA#powm

some of your list should be updated.

such as systeminterface, shortcut menu; thinkadvantageacticeprotection

7. enjoylife

enjoylife Pen Pal - Newbie

how come the buttons on my LCD display doesn't work?
    for example, I couldn't rotate the screen.

8. delsolman

delsolman Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an ultrabase, do i need to install any extra software like presentation director or something?

9. Mike75

Mike75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I plan to do a clean install of Win 7 on my x61 Tablet. For this I will use a new 640 GB hard drive. Then I have a question related to the Lenovo recovery Partition I originaly had with Vista. I think that recovery parition can be useful in case of issue and they do not cost that much with today hard drive size.

My question is what should I need to do for having recovery partion with Win 7:
    1/ Shall I create something based on Lenovo SW?
    2/ I heard that Win 7 may have implemented a way to install such recovery partitition. Any idea/link about how to install such partition?

FYI, I bought my Win 7 from Microsoft.

Any help will be appreciate.

Regards,

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan to do a clean install of win7, but wonder, is it worthwhile to move to 64 bit instead of 32bit? I think I only have 2GB ram, I could up that, but even then is there going to be some perf pop or battery implication. What are peoples experiences?

11. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm having problem with tablet inputs. After working with programs like onenote 2007 or even journal which uses a digitizer, I loose control of the mouse cursor. It won't respond to my clicks using the digitizer, and not even with a usb mouse. I can't click anything on the desktop, or any window opened. Sometimes I can click the start menu. Only way to make this work is to press 'control' 'alt' 'delete' and press 'esc' to cancel. Then I get my mouse clicks and digitizer clicks working again. I didn't notice this until I started using onenote with digitizer in class. I'm having same problem with 32bit and 64bit version of windows 7. Vista works okay. This is really annoying. I have went back to vista, came back to windows 7, then tried 32 bit / 64 bit, with without lenovo drivers, and all combinations I could think of. Here's my specs:

LV7500, Multitouch (finger input / digitizer input), 3GB Ram, intel 80GB SSD, Bluetooth, intel wifi 4965agn, 8GB Sandisk SDHC inserted most times.

12. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I were you, I would stay with 32 bit since you don't have much ram anyways. Besides, RAM seems to be expensive these days. If you can upgrade to 4GB for like $30, then I'd go for it and use 64bit, but otherwise, I think I would just use 32bit until next laptop upgrade. Even MS office, especially onenote 2007 is all 32 bit. So there is no advantage to use 64bit OS.

13. tivoboy

tivoboy Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't get any email updates on this thread.

14. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running Win 7 64-bit and love it, but I do have 4GB & a 250GB SSD. Love the 1400x1050 screen on my X61t which I mainly use on photo trips.

15. tsttm

tsttm Pen Pal - Newbie

i decided to try installing windows 7 before i had a chance to read this thread. I been installing drivers as i can find, but so far my tablet function (stylus or finger) is not working. can someone tell me which driver enables this?

Also, should i re-install so that i can install these drivers in the order listed above (how critical is it now to follow the order..assuming lenovo has more recent drivers available)?

thanks.

16. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

Hey HP79,

I have the exact same issue with my Tablet using Onenote 2007 on a W7 64 bit platform. Randomly it will freeze and the only way to unlock is CTR-ALT-DEL then click on task manager (do you notice that the first click doesn't work and then click again and it does!!!):mad:

Been searching all over for a fix to this, downloaded latest Lenovo drivers etc but no joy.

Have you fixed your issue yet?

Cheers,

17. TimDroz

TimDroz Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the Turbo Memory driver necessary if you didn't expressly purchase that option? My model is the 7764 CTO.

18. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Timdroz,

If it isn't in your tablet, then you don't need to install it. :)

19. TimDroz

TimDroz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm going through a clean install right now... can anyone translate the list of the Lenovo drivers to match what's actually available on the Lenovo site as of today? I can't find the Lenovo System Interface Driver anywhere on the Lenovo site. Some of the others don't seem to match up easily either.

20. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator