Windows 7 Clean/Custom Install

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by DRTigerlilly, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Backup

Make sure to burn copies of your recovery media either to DVD OR via Virtual CD's (as an iso) to an external drive OR Via USB Flash Drive using the HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility . You could also use software like Acronis True Home Image or Symantec Ghost etc to make a backup of the recovery partition and store on an external hard drive.

Remember to also Backup the SWSETUP & HP Folders from the C drive, all your pre installed applications & drivers are stored there.

Also backup your activation using OREV's ABR (Use the Windows 7 version off course :) )
    Copy the ABR Folder and all it's contents to external hard drive after you have backed up your key & activation.

Windows 7 Installation Media
    You can get Windows 7 disks from here

You will either get ISO's or 3 files (1 .exe file & 2 .box files)
    You will need to run this file on the iso to allow you to choose the version you have the key & activation for.

for the .box files run the .exe file it will create an Expanded Setup Folder. Delete the file called ei.cfg or setup.cfg from inside the sources folder inside Expanded Setup.

You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to create an iso from the expanded setup folder which can be burned or you can use it to create a bootable USB Flash drive with the Windows 7 installation (must be greater than 4gb) Instructions here

Dual Boot Scenario
    You will need to partition the disk, You can use Disk Management (which will come up as "Create and Format hard disk partitions" if you search for Disk Management using the start bar"

In Place Clean (Custom) Install
    Start Setup.exe from inside Windows OR Boot to USB Flash Drive or DVD by pressing ESC on boot.

Guide in Pictures can be found here

If you choose to install to the same location as the current installation, All your files will be moved to a windows.old folder.

Format Hard drive and Install
    (You will lose all files on the hard drive) When asked where do you want to install Windows click on Drive Options (Advanced) and format the drive.

At Step 15 do not key in your product key, Uncheck the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked, then click on the Next button. ( We will activate once inside Windows 7)

Once Inside the Windows Installation copy the ABR folder back to the PC and run the restore file to restore your key & activation.

Creating a Recovery Partition of your Clean Install

Information re Windows Update & Drivers after a Clean Install

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. superozro

superozro Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks DrTigerlilly looks great!

3. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

A couple of notes on creating a dual boot setup:

With the default factory partitioning scheme you need to be careful with shrinking a partition with the intention of creating a new volume. HP created four primary partitions: SYSTEM, OS, RECOVERY, and HP_TOOLS. Since the usable partitions of significant size are in the middle (OS and RECOVERY), if you shrink any of these and then create a new volume, be aware that Windows 7 will convert your disk from basic to dynamic. Once the disk is converted to dynamic you cannot install an OS on the new partition(s) you created. And worst of all, you cannot easily convert a dynamic disk back to basic disk without losing data (Windows does not support the conversion; you will have to purchase a 3rd party tool). So my advice is don't do it!

Since shrinking a partition doesn't work anyway, you might as well delete the two partitions at the end (RECOVERY and HP_TOOLS). Just make sure you have created your recovery disks first (also see below re: HP_TOOLS)! You can then shrink the OS partition and create additional partitions while keeping the disk as a basic disk. New partitions created at the end are automatically converted into logical partitions which support OS installation.

If you want to restore the HP Diagnostics test suite that resides in the HP_TOOLS partition, you will need to first back up the files there (a folder named "Hewlett-Packard"), then create a primary partition and format it as a FAT32 file system, and finally restore the "Hewlett-Packard" folder. I found that HP_TOOLS works (it's run by esc->F2 option in the BIOS) if it resides on a primary partition and not on a logical partition.

Finally, the new clean install will be assigned the C: drive letter. When you install some of the software in swsetup folder, you will find that some will fail due to missing files in c:\hp\bin. To fix this, simply copy the x:\hp folder to your c:\ folder (where x: is whatever the new drive letter assigned to the original factory OS partition in the new clean install).

4. papi

It appears to me that not all the factory installed software (that are of interest to me) can be found in the SwSetup folder. For examples: DigiFish Dolphin, Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7, MS Office 2010 trial, Pandora internet radio just to name a few.

Does anyone know where I can find the missing apps?

5. DRTigerlilly

thanks papi will include these.

6. papi

For those doing clean install or dual boot, you may have some difficulty trying to guess what software packages the folders under SwSetup represent. Here's a list I compiled:

AFlash (Adobe Flash)
    Adobe (Acrobat Reader)
    BumpTop (BumpTop desktop)
    CMSWorks (MS Works)
    CorelPaintIT (Corel PaintIt Touch)
    CyberDVD (CyberLink DVD player)
    DPFPR (Digital Persona)
    ESUW7 (HP Essential Sytem Updates)
    HPHN (Hulu Desktop/Netflix)
    HPSF (HP Assistant Installer)
    HPTSLC (HP Tutorials)
    HPUG (HP User Guides)
    HPUpdate (HP Update)
    InetSec (Norton Internet Security)
    LSSS (LightScribe)
    MSDVD (MS DVD)
    MSLight (MS Silverlight)
    MSMVP (HP TouchSmart Music-Video-Photo)
    MSSP (MS Sling Player)
    MSWebcam (HP TouchSmart Webcam)
    MSiTV (HP TouchSmart Internet TV)
    PhotoHt (Photo Hunt)
    QLB (HP QuickLaunch Buttons)
    Shockwave (Adobe Shockwave)
    SunJava (Java)
    TOW (Tug of Words)
    WINLIVE (Windows Live)
    WLASST (HP Wireless Assistant)

Disclaimer: I did not install all of the packages in my clean dual boot install. For some of them I simply moused over the Setup.exe to get the description. Please feel free to make corrections.

If you are doing a dual boot you need to copy the folder named HP from the factory's partition. And if you are doing clean install by wiping the factory partition make sure you first back up the C:\HP folder. Some of the packages in SwSetup won't install if you don't have c:\hp\bin.

7. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I were to do a completely fresh install [ no windows.old ] (on a TM2) would windows be able to find my drivers for me or do I need to transfer these. Addtionally I am right in thinking that if I install to local drive (C) [ not the recovery partition or HP tools partition that these will remain after the new install as I am installing on C. Finally do I actually need to reinstall any of the bloatware or bar drivers can I just start installing only what I want to install. I apologise if this has been posted in the wrong thread.

8. DRTigerlilly

it's a newer machine it's possible it might not find all the drivers. Once you reinstall windows you will lose access to the recovery partition or hp tools partitions, as in you won't be able to boot to them. They will still be there but the content could inaccessible in any real way.

You can install only what you want to install after a clean install.

9. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you very much for that -really helps clear up a few things. In that case will the recovery disks that I have created work indefinately, as in I can use them more than once if needs be. Could I also in theory expand the C partition into the recovery partition since those would no longer work or would it not be worth the hassle. Thanks in advance.

10. DRTigerlilly

technically you should be able to get the recovery partition back by setting it to active, i've done it before on the tx1000, but the method isn't documented, and i don't have one to use to try it now. But if you have your recovery disks you should be good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.