windows 7 beta on TX2000 Problems

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by tlo13, Jan 7, 2009.

1. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

If you use Live Mesh, then you will lose Aero and Color. This is a known problem. We will have to wait till there is a fix from the Mesh or Windows 7 team.

Also if you use Outlook and Exchange there will be problems with your username and password. You have to use your domain and SAM user name.

And my Epson Artisan 800 printer/scanner drivers don't install in the nice pretty way they do under Vista. I got it working but it was not perfect. Or easy.

Just a heads up of the problems I have found so far.

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha, so what's the point then? But you seem to be right, mines on that list ha.

3. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is different - but I have MSDN subscription.

Alan

4. stewall

stewall Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, all:
    I first upgraded my TX2000 from Vista and found, among other things, that windows explorer kept crashing when I tried to access it. The tablet ran OK but I couldn't access explorer. After a while I decided to do a complete install which did not format anything but just overwrote everything (I still have windows.old, all my old docs and downloads, etc)
    It works like a dream now with a few exceptions, as follows:
    1. When I go into tablet mode the screen does not auto-rotate
    2. None of the buttons around the screen work (DVD; replay, screen rotate, etc)
    DVD player works fine as do MP3s
    The writing (pen) experience is superb, and everything is, to my mind, improved.
    I have also installed it on an Acer Aspire One originally running Linpus with a 8gB SSD and 516 Ram! It is running reasonably fast for surfing and non-memory-intensive games.
    Also tried it on a Fujitsu Lifebook P1610 but that also has only 516 Ram. It runs well but I had so much trouble with Fujitsu buttons and screen rotation that I gave up and went back to XP with that one.
    Anyone able to auto rotate the screen?
    I will add that, although the system seemed to install correctly and reboot a few times, I found that more things worked after a couple of extra reboots - and don't forget to visit the Action Center often!. Which reminds me, I don't think the fingerprint reader is working yet - not that I am worried about that (Action Center just gave me a reminder that it has a possible solution for this :)
    Steve

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All you need to do is install the Quick Launch Buttons applet. They are on HP's support site for the tx2000. Once you install them you should be good to go. I and several other people here have done the same thing and it works just fine.

6. stewall

stewall Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, thanks!
    In case others read this I'll explain what I did because I had a fair bit of trouble:
    (It sounds as though you didn't!)
    After download the first install told me I had missing files and then that a file was corrupted. I had about five warnings and it stopped install telling me to download again
    I did this but had the same trouble
    Then I right-clicked on the file and ran the Compatibility Troubleshooter which gave me a few simple questions (did it work before on old system - Yes) What system - Vista) and then I ran it again and it installed
    I must say though that it is now taking about 10 to 12 seconds to actually rotate (screen goes blank for that time) I'll check on the Nvidia drivers tomorrow morning :)
    Again, thanks a bunch
    Steve
    PS I mentioned previously about the fingerprint app - that also told me to download a certain file and now I have that working too.
    I have details if anyone wants it (I'm on another [HP] laptop at this time and don't have the file name with me)

7. townleystreet

townleystreet Pen Pal - Newbie

I just downloaded windows 7 today. The only reason I had procrastinated so long is because of all the different drivers the tx2000 uses. If you could give me the details of which file it is, I'd greatly appreciate it.

8. stewall

stewall Pen Pal - Newbie

The file you need is W7Wbf32
    The action center told me to visit a link it gave to Authen Tec, Inc
    When I clicked on the link, it immediately commenced saving the file.
    Here is a link to the file:
    http://www.authentec.com/win7update/W7Wbf32.exe
    That's all there was to it. It is about b22mB. If you have trouble locating it let me know and I will try to get it to you.
    BTW the only problem I had to work out for myself was the screen rotation, Quick Launch Buttons which 'Heatlesssun' helped me out with (Thanks, again)
    I am very impressed with Windows new Action Center, it actually seems to work
    Good luck
    Steve

9. stewall

stewall Pen Pal - Newbie

All:
    BTW, here is a link to a an article about "a bumper list of Windows 7 secrets" by a Tim Neath, part of the MS development team. It contains some useful info for those of you who have not read it. Apologies to those of you who already know about it
    http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/

10. townleystreet

townleystreet Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for that! From all I've heard so far Windows 7, even at beta stage, is a great choice over the default Vista. I'm looking forward to trying it out!