Windows 7 beta on the tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by GreatWizard, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Przemek

Przemek Pen Pal - Newbie

well, first problems - i wasnt able to get buttons working, any of them. instalation was followed by error message.

P.

2. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't try installing the DVD software buttons, since I never used em. I did install the Quick Launch buttons from HP's site for Vista and it worked with no trouble at all.

3. Przemek

Przemek Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, i just had an old install version on my sw setup folder. new version works fine, both ql and qp.

Exploring further.

P.

4. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed Windows 7 and lost all keyboard and touchscreen functionality... Anyone know why this is?

5. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I'm thinking of removing the recovery partition, then expanding it to 16-20gigs, to finally install Windows 7 with a dual boot along side the original Vista install.

I of course will make a few recovery DVDs first, and back up the entire partition to a WD Passport 500gb usb drive.

I only have a retail 32bit Vista disc, so I can't do a clean install of Vista 64bit. This seems like a good alternative. And in August when the system expires, it would be a good time to start fresh again.

6. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like a good plan to me... I've got a 40gb partition with it up and running well...

So, my next question, is there a good way to share programs between the two OS installs? I like the idea of running 7, but also understand that I need to keep Vista for any possible issues, but don't really wanna have all my applications installed twice.. Would it be possible to share the applications between the two? I realize the registry would have to update for each, but the actual files themselves, safe to share?

Maybe have a third partition for the programs? So, OS on C:, other on E:, and programs on F:? Something like that? Would that work or be worth trying? Dunno? Not a huge fan of dual booting, but do like 7, curious if that would work or be a waste of time setting up.

Thanks

EDIT: This is on the 500GB drive I've got installed.

7. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering the same too. Especially for an Adobe Creative Suite that's a 15gig install. I was going to see if I installed it to the same exact location as I did with Vista in hope those files don't have any important files, and that any registry files and such would be in the OS, so that they can both share the same install location. It's a long shot.

I also wonder if Adobe will consider that a 3rd computer. They only let you register it on two computers at once, and you can't run both at the same time. So if I install it on Vista as a 2nd computer, register it, then install it on Windows 7, even though the same machine, it may give me some kind of issue.

8. nevarDeath

nevarDeath Phone Expert

You can see the files you have in vista from win7 and vice versa. I just posted the instructions on how to do that here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=23557&page=2 about an hour ago. from that thread:
    This makes the other partition show up just like another drive in your computer, so you can explore it run programs and whatever else you want to do with it

9. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

To those of you that put Windows 7 on this laptop, did you do a clean install, essentially getting rid of all the garbage that HP loaded on the laptop? I just upgraded to Win 7 from Vista and the laptop seems pretty slow. I haven't installed anything yet and uninstalled a lot of the stuff HP put on here. Would a clean format/install be better? Or is this a bad idea?

10. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You should do a clean install. I got another physical drive to put Windows 7 on and its runs quite a bit better than Vista IMHO.

I never do upgrade installs for any OS I install.