Windows 7 beta on the tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by GreatWizard, Dec 29, 2008.

1. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows 7 beta works and installs like a charm. It adds improved tablet support and all the touchscreen and pen features (as well as BT and wLAN) work from the start without additional software.

Touch and pen alignment seem more accurate (not surprisingly since the calibration takes 16 points instead of four now)

Pen input panel has additional features and better recognition.

I'm very pleased so far. Also stability is perfect up till now (I installed office 2007 and used some onenote and surfed the net and left it on for a few hours)

2. mingdizzle

mingdizzle Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with you. Windows 7 beta is working great on my tx2000z for all the same reasons you mentioned. I've tried XP and Vista, and I like Windows 7 better than both of them.

3. ferguson81

ferguson81 Pen Pal - Newbie

what about multitouch functionality? can you zoom in pictures just like an iphone? curious about it :)

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Ha! finally people are agreeing with statements i made with the 6801 betas!

6801 was stable even in the pre-beta stage. It truly renewed my faith in windows.

I am getting the 7000 build as we speak. I can't wait until there is a release of nlite/ vlite (or possible 7lite lol) for windows seven, as it would make even older hardware feel new again. My friend put 6801 on a p3, at 1.6ghz with 512mb of ram and it was fast. Can't wait to see the final result.....

5. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

ditto, altho i personally am going to wait patiently until it becomes "public".

Just in case...Although my limited use of Win7 on my friend's tx2500 was very pleasing.

Vista looks, but functions like the XP.

6. Modnar

Modnar Pen Pal - Newbie

Well you can on devices that have hardware for it (Dell lat XT, HP's TX2 and Touchsmart). Otherwise its just going to be single touch on them which still receive improvements.

7. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

My tx2500z with a clean build of vista32 will for no reason doing nothing in an area with no wifi available go wild and the fans will start and it will get pretty warm. This is on a desk in a cold work environment. The disk will go bonkers. I have the defragmenter off. I guess it's indexing? Even though I have it in lowest possible index setting.

Even with the wifi if it finds updates there is no way to stop it from downloading and taking up resources while on battery.

Does win7 behave better, at idle? It is pretty constantly doing god knows what. The hard drive drives me bonkers. I have it loaded with my mp3's but everything was already indexed!

8. pff1029

pff1029 Scribbler - Standard Member

Usually, Vista spends a good while after setup thrashing the disk, indexing and caching for things like superfetch. Maybe 7 behaves the same after install?

9. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

yea that has drove me insane as well. The constant background whatever that you wouldn't notice on a new desktop is just horrible for a laptop. I'll have to use it for a while to find out if it improved. On vista though that was so annoying. I use it for Onenote in class and everytime it suddenly started the fans and heating I'm sure half the class heard it.(despite me disabling index and shadowing services)

10. Przemek

Przemek Pen Pal - Newbie

two quick questions:

1. is installing process the same tricky as vista/xp? (to enable touchscreen features and other drivers?)
    2. is it possible to keep my vista for testing time and install w7 as second ssytem?

P.