Windows 7 beta as full time OS ????

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by zenmeta4, Jan 1, 2009.

1. zenmeta4

zenmeta4 Pen Pal - Newbie

The registry on my TX2000z running Vista got corrupted while I system restore turned off and I can't get Vista to fix itself

So, I need to decide if I want to:
    1) Do a clean install of Vista from a disk, or
    2) install Windows 7 beta as my primary OS.

I also have the option to restore Vista using HP's restore software, but I think I want to skip the step of having to remove all of the bloatware.

Does anyone have any wisdom to share on whether I should install Windows 7 beta with the intention of using it as my primary OS, until Window 7 is released?

My guess is that Windows Update wouldn't work on the beta, am I opening myself up to vulnerabilities?

Do you think that most typical software (AVG, Zonealarm, Spybot, etc) will install on Windows 7? It is supposed to be so similar to Vista that I would guess that they would.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

um no, there's a reason its called a beta.

Noone in their right mind would advise you run Windows 7 as your primary OS.

Furthermore notwithstanding you're an official beta tester you shouldn't be running it period.

Microsoft is likely to have a public beta soon, and you can sign up that way, but Windows 7 is for all intents and purposes an experimental OS at this point, no matter how stable it appears to be currently.

Furthermore you can only run the OS for 30 days before putting in license key, so again short of you being an official beta tester.....you see where i'm going with this?

3. zenmeta4

zenmeta4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

4. DRTigerlilly

should also mention that you're likely to have issues installing hardware buttons, and experience driver & software incompatibility. If the thread w/ users that have tried it is any indication.

5. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually the thread you mentioned is an indication that there are no problems with the hardware buttons. Both Digital persona and the quick launch buttons software work in it's vista version.

But yea moving to it does count you out of regular driver updates for a while - at the least as far as ATI drivers go, so no gaming. Also as a beta, while more stable then Vista was, it has some minor issues.

The best prsactice for you would be to partition your HDD and install both of those, so that you will have a fallback. Also you'll want to install further beta versions as a clean install and this way you'll be prepared to do that.

6. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

I like new stuff. But in this case because Win7 beta is better in some aspects then Vista especially for a tablet pc. Both better performance and better battery life, as well as more tablet centric features. Has some minor issues, but really fun to discover all the new stuff so far. (the math input panel is amazing. Too bad it isn't supported in Office yet)

-Great Wizard

7. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

how much?

I don't remember reading anywhere about increased battery life with 7.

8. dwolf123

dwolf123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have 7 installed on my TX and although the vista drivers work on it I would say wait until a RTM build but I do like the performance on the beta. MS might actually take over if they play their cards right on vienna

9. DRTigerlilly

take over? from? Microsoft already has 90% of the consumer pc market....

10. mingdizzle

mingdizzle Pen Pal - Newbie

Quoted from Gizmodo:

"Vista's power management was definitely better than XP's, and Windows 7's is remarkably better still. Part of it is just that whole smarter background management, which for battery life does things like dial down the processor more often, use less juice to play a standard def DVD, automatically turn off your Ethernet adapter, common sense stuff like that. But it doesn't just do all this fancy energy-saving jujitsu behind your back (though it can). Windows 7 is capable of delivering a battery efficiency report that breaks down in detail what's chomping on your battery—power-slurping hardware, vampire-y processes, the works."