Windows 2 in 1 with LTE needed as primary laptop / handwritten note taking device

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ORTOX, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

$400

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Windows, preferably detachable tablet, but I could go convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really. I already have a Toshiba Z20t. This would be replacing it. I want a WWAN modem for LTE. Otherwise I wouldn't be replacing it. However, I don't want another Toshiba.

At work, we're a Dell house some I'm very familiar with Dell. I also like Lenovo devices.

But I'm willing to look at others (HP, Asus, etc.)

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

8 or so

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

This will be my primary computer. Web browsing, note taking, office apps, no games

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows 10

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Office 365, Chrome, Affinity Designer (just for hobby use)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No games. I have another computer for games.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Not likely

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

At least 1920x1080

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Rarely

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

I do require a pen. Pen tech doesn't matter to me. Pressure sensitivity would be nice.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I'm on a Z20t with 256 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM. I'm pretty spoiled right now. I'd like similar, but it's not necessary. Neither is expandable memory.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Inputs don't really matter to me. USB 3.0 would be nice.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.

I was thinking about the Latitude 7350. Although I don't know much about it. It seems like I could find it for pretty cheap. It seems like the least expensive option that meets my criteria.

But if there are others out there, please let me know! Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Other option I'm thinking of is the New Lenovo Tablet 10 with LTE. But it's more than I want to spend. Although, it's not too far over my budget for a brand new device.

3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@ORTOX you could try getting a Thinkpad Yoga 260 and putting a battery from more expensive Yoga 370 in it (51Wh vs 44Wh capacity) and undervolting it a bit, to make it meet your battery life requirement - because it seems to meet all your other demands. Note that models equipped with WWAN from the factory come with 8GB soldered RAM, so if you want ability to upgrade RAM yourself some day you'll need to purchase compatible LTE modem separately and install it yourself, together with higher capacity battery probably pushing you over the budget. In the latter scenario WWAN antennas may not come pre-installed as well, but I aftermarket ones for ~$5 will do the job just fine. Regardless, there's nothing that can beat your Z20t in terms of battery life - so maybe just get a version with LTE modem?

4. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

@Starlight5 thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look at the Yoga 260. Do you have any experience with the Latitude 7350? As for a Z20t with LTE modem, that would be great. But in the US, I have no clue where to find one. I don't think the Z20t had a US option with LTE.

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@ORTOX Dell 7350 seems very nice. Z20t with LTE definitely exists, but also no idea where to buy it.