Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Am I the only one who is completely in love with windows 11?
    I've been out of the computers world for two years, I come back and... Wow, finally an operating system that's lovable to use with a touch device.
    Works well, looks beautiful, I love it. Seriously.
    Even YouTube is finally usable with touch on the browser and doesn't make want to grab the app on my phone.

Now, if I could find a way to make windows pop up the onscreen keyboard when I touch a writing field even if my computer isn't in "tablet mode"...

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

I honestly do too, but I shut down the telemetry and use Firefox. I really can't go back.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Just switched to Firefox too, was pretty easy. Even there you still have to turn stuff off, but it's nowhere near as bad as Edge has gotten. Incredible, they really managed to ruin it for me in the span of half a year, starting with the coupon extension. Here's hoping Firefox can remain a reasonably good citizen for a while longer.

Eltos likes this.
  4. JoeS

Question for the tech literate: when switching to Firefox it offered to import passwords from Edge. I'm kind of shocked that without any complaints from Windows or Edge all passwords were flawlessly copied. Does this mean that any installed x86 app can in principle just grab all locally stored passwords without so much as a peep from the OS or browser? I understand that installing apps carries risk, but I didn't quite realize how readily available stored passwords are.

Eltos likes this.
  5. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

It does...and now that you mention it, that is kind of bad...:eek:

Bishop likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

7. JoeS

My first annoying glitch with Win11: an external monitor on my USB-C hub (and I've seen the same thing on a TB hub) is not recognized, so Win11 installs a Generic PnP Monitor for it. Result: I'm getting less than native resolution, and things are not at the right aspect ratio. This is for a Dell U2412M on HDMI. Oddly this setup had been working fine, not sure why it decided to go bad suddenly. I don't even see any suspicious recent Windows updates. Any ideas?

Edit: false alarm. With the TB dock I couldn't get it to display native resolution, but it fixed itself after a reboot. With the USB-C hub I assumed it was the same issue, but it turns out the resolution had changed to a lower value, but in display settings the native resolution WAS available. Still odd that I end up with the wrong resolution on an external Dell monitor twice in one week.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

It still doesn’t fix the numerous woes and gaffes. Why do users have to do triple finger swiping to switch/close/expand apps when swiping from outside of the screen is the established norm, far more user friendly and far less prone to misdetection or error? What ever happened to grouping pinned items into folders that made Windows 10 so organizable? Is common sense officially dead now at Redmond or has Steve Ballmer (worst rated CEO in Microsoft history) somehow returned as shadow CEO? Windows 11 is turning out to be a worse flop than 8 and, man, is Redmond in a state of severe damage control as these terrible adoption numbers come out. They will need to do far, far more than reverse course on the default browser setting but Microsoft’s arrogance is likely still too big to go that far. They much rather continue the Microsoft cycle, opting to hide their forced humility by waiting until Windows 12 proclaiming it as a “return to their roots” and market it as “the best Windows yet!” rather than openly fixing the problems in the current release here and now and thereby admitting failure.

Link:
    https://www.techradar.com/au/news/barely-anyone-has-upgraded-to-windows-11-survey-claims

Steve S, dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Ok, I may have said I'm in love with Windows 11 but does anyone knows how to get rid or at least silence the first two processes of this screenshot? They're making my fans run all the time and it's getting annoing.
    First one in english should be State Repository Service.
    One thing I undoubtedly didn't miss of Windows. ouch.

Immagine 2021-12-06 170758.jpg

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Those are system services. Kill those and the OS can go cattywampus. That is one of the resulting “beauties” of Windows 11.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Steve S likes this.