Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It does install Pro.

A couple of years back MS made a change to the install process where the download is the same for all versions of Windows. Certain features are enabled/disabled by an entitlement check that runs when you update.

In other words once you have pro on a machine, regardless of method you got it, the upgrades will maintain it.

PS: On the so far three of our internal Go2 systems that we've updated to 11, they've been without any issues.

And FWIW the tablet UI changes to Windows 11 actually benefit the Go the most IMHO.

PPS: And that entitlement even applies if you do a 100% wipe and clean install of Windows and gets it when it activates.

Bronsky, dellaster and JoeS like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Yes and yes. My SG2 is a business SKU that came with Win10 Pro and it upgraded to Win11 Pro.
    20211102_065521.jpg
    It still hasn't done anything weird, but I haven't done much with it lately.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The only system where I'd like to give it a shot is my WOA Galaxy Book 2 but of course there it isn't offered yet...>>

Same for my Pro X...

Bronsky likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Related question, although not Win11: how about if you have a really ancient machine, say from 2010... if you do a "reset Windows 10, don't keep any files", would you need to authenticate again, or will it keep the existing license? I'm asking because I have an laptop that was upgraded to Win7 (and then to Win10) using a Win7 install disk from eBay which works fine, but it involved calling MS to validate it. I'd hope to spare the eBay buyer having to make that call.

5. desertlap

Depends on if it has a TPM module and if it's enabled.

With a 2010 system ,I'd say it's iffy though some Thinkpads and Latitudes were starting to deploy them

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

I see, so just to make sure: without TPM, the "reset Windows" option from within Win10 would wipe the license?

7. desertlap

In our tests, yes.

JoeS likes this.
  8. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought the license was stored on the servers and resetting or installing fresh would work on any computer. That has been my experience even with ones upgraded to Win 10 previously with a Win 7 license.

Terry

9. JoeS

One nice thing is that you can customize these. You can even set these to run an app of choice.
    Agreed on this. Having played with Win11 for a bit, the edge gestures have gotten worse. Unless I'm doing something wrong, a right-edge swipe no longer gets you to the brightness control. I get a calendar and notifications. I know there's a handy combined volume+brightness control, but for me that doesn't show when I edge swipe.

As for the left edge swipe menu, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the News section, is that right? The only option is to plaster that pane with enough widgets to push the news section off screen. Well done MS, now have to use widgets.. Much better for me would be if they could keep widgets at the top, and have a scrollable "open apps" right below that, and "recent apps" below that. Or.. bring up the task switcher like it was in Win10, or even map it to 'next app' like in ye olde Win8.

On a positive note, I love the subtle window animations, the color scheme, basically the entire look. :thumbsup:

Eltos likes this.
  10. JoeS

Another nice improvement: Cortana now actually closes when you hit the 'close' icon, and doesn't sneak up on you in the task switcher anymore. Baby steps. :cool:

One thing I don't like (dare I say 'hate'?) is that there still doesn't seem to be an easy way to disable web searches from the Start Menu. Why does every keyword I search for need to be sent to the web? It's infuriating! :mad:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Eltos likes this.