Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Eltos likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

telling “some” users they couldn’t run it may have been a dare that enticed them. Maybe lots of people hate the old start menu.

3. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

I'm very disappointed with MS, it says my IBM X61 Tablet does not support Windows 11 :mad:

4. JoeS

On the one hand I'm curious. On the other hand, I'm afraid it will break VR functionality.. This is on an X1 Yoga 3rd gen.

upload_2021-10-30_19-51-22.png

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

After trying to persist using Windows 11 for two weeks, I had to go back. Trying to add Android app support right now is an issue since the Android subsystem corrupts itself within a given time, requiring you to remove it and reinstall it and every single Android app occasionally. Here are some other problems I encountered.

Windows 11 is neither good as a desktop or tablet UI. If I try to tap on pinned apps on the taskbar, they refuse to open. Single clicking with the mouse works but not single tapping. I have to tap and hold to summon the dialog menu to actually open the thing. Likewise, swiping from left on a tablet screen no longer works to pull up the list of all running apps. Instead, I have to do a very awkward three finger swipe upward from the middle of the screen to get the list of all running apps. I cannot tell how often getting Windows to detect it as three fingers takes a double or triple take.

I also work for a company that specializes in TBI/SCI rehabilitation for our clients and this new tablet interaction is totally unfriendly to those of our clients with dexterity limitations in their extremities. The fluffy talk at Microsoft about accessibility at the last Surface event ignores the major accessibility issues introduced in Windows 11. Whoever established all these revised touch interactions for the UI was an absolute dunderhead.

Steve S, Eltos and nnthemperor like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

To clarify, I am on a Surface Pro 7+ but I did do an upgrade so that may be a factor. The expected behavior of single taps on the taskbar pinned apps works on non-upgraded, freshly installed units. That said, to switch to the task view/list of all running apps, fresh or upgrade install, you have swipe upward from the center of the screen with three fingers which is painfully awkward and totally non-intuitive. I tried this even in the store (Best Buy) on a Surface Pro 8 and Surface Laptop Studio and in performing the three finger gesture, getting all three fingers to register on the screen simultaneously and not get misregistered as a single finger or two finger swipe up instead is very cumbersome and prone frequently to error. Ideally, they would have kept the single swipe from the outside left of the screen for the touchscreen and merely reserved these new three finger interactions to the touchpad.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I keep forgetting to mention that late last week I was "offered" the opportunity to install Win 11 on my desktop system (of all things) by Windows Update! This is my first instance of being offered this update.

I clicked on the "Keep Win 10 for now" hotlink and went on with my business...

JoeS and Eltos like this.
  8. JoeS

Yeah, their AI seems tuned to offer it on machines where you won't install it! :p

It was offered to me on the system that I use for casual VR gaming (still dabbling in Skyrim, maybe next Elite or Half-Life Alyx) and given how finicky WMR is, I don't trust MS to make the Win11 upgrade a smooth experience.

Next it was offered on my work tablet, but I just don't want to risk messing with my work machine right now. Maybe I'll risk it over the Christmas break so that I can take the Lord's name in vain as I try to figure out why the update broke everything.

The only system where I'd like to give it a shot is my WOA Galaxy Book 2 but of course there it isn't offered yet. At least I have the Laptop Studio on order, so who knows, I might even get to try Win 11 on that before ever updating any of my current machines. What's happened to me, I used to live on the bleeding edge of tech! :eek:

Eltos, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Same here. What has happened to me? I've had the invitation staring at me from my tashbar with its little blue dot for quite some time but don't want to mess up my Go2 which I use as my only work device.

BTW, has anyone updated Pro. Does it install Pro?

10. JoeS

If you're really eager and there are no huge red flags on social media and forums about upgrading a Go 2, you could take the plunge when you have a day off (if that ever happens..). Rollback of an update has worked before, so there's always that. Just make sure you have a good backup and/or a drive image from before the update. Meanwhile I'll be here on the sidelines. :hi: