Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I waited to upgrade on my work laptop.

I actually like a few features that Win11 has, notably how window arrangement is handled, and that snapping is now far more flexible, allowing for quarters and such. This is good news for me, and actually helpful during zoom meetings when I need to share content quickly and easily with clients. It also sounds like touch input is greatly improved.??? I was always annoyed that (speaking purely experentially) touch always seemed much better in tablet mode in Win 10. But I had to give up my normal UI to have it. That p*ssed me off, but I just had to let it go, because normal UI was essential for work flow. But if I could combine these two things, that would be worth an upgrade, perhaps.

But beyond that, I haven't seen much that calls me to. Usability seems the same? The real issue I have is that I really don't like the idea of the taskbar being forced to be on the bottom. Particularly on a 16:9 screen. This really only makes sense on new 3:2 screens. I keep mine on the right for A) easy touch input as a right hander and B) to allow for more headroom in such a horizontal screen. And what's annoying is even reg hacks so far don't seem to fix anything. Does anyone have newer info on this? If I could move my taskbar and have my apps there, I'd do the upgrade. But so far, on this device, no.

daddyfish and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

+1

nnthemperor and Steve B like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Okay, my Surface Go 2 is completely updated on Windows 11, Steam works fine and didn't even need updating, and my single installed game plays just as well as it did before on Windows 10 as far as I can tell. I guess I would call that a success. YMMV.

The cosmetics and rearrangement of settings and such... I do not dislike it, nor is it confusing. Then again I liked and had zero problems and never understood the complaints with Windows 8 which makes me either weird or a genius or both or something else, right? Anyway, it'll do. No need to uninstall and put Windows 10 back on it and also no need to try to upgrade my yoga. There's so little difference that I don't see the point.

daddyfish, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think the big question is whether there are any surprises down the road, like regular BSODs or unexpected software issues, or simply UI glitches that are more annoyances than show stoppers. Keep us posted please! :thumbsup:

dellaster likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Yeah, but you risk those every time Windows 10 does an update, too. You can run but you can't hide. :p

JoeS likes this.
  6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Go ahead, I upgraded my Go 2 last week without any problems. That's before my daughter took it and have me back the GB10.6

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You'll be surprised how fast the installation is.

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Looks like there is a new Windows 11 version of the Microsoft Whiteboard app which is way worse.

Seriously, why can they not make a single decent ink workspace / whiteboard app and stick with it. The original Ink Workspace was great. Then they replaced it with a bad one. Then the original Whiteboard was great, and now they're replacing it with a bad one.

In this case, the UI is so much worse now. The pen / ink selection buttons are tiny.

It has lost functionality. It can't auto-convert ink to shapes (there's a setting for it but it doesn't appear to be doing it - you have to manually convert it instead), and it can't auto-convert ink to a table.

Plus, now it's x86 where previously it was ARM-native.

Looks like rather than building the app for Android natively, or making the web version built into Teams any good, they just developed a new web-based version that still isn't any good.

Edit: Never mind, auto ink-to-shape is there just totally unintuitive:

Tams and Eltos like this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, well. It is removing as much as it's adding.

Eltos likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

bloodycape, desertlap and Eltos like this.