Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One of the rare occasions where my poor typing combined with auto-correct made me funny! :)

Tams, dellaster, Eltos and 3 others like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, it will be nice to see more Windows tablets with the store updates / upcoming Android support. I want to recommend some friends / colleagues Windows tablets but with generally only the Surface Go 2 / 3 being good enough & worldwide available there is not much choice atm.

Tams, sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  3. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

This could be really cool to pair with my pixel phone!

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a shame that Samsung are so haphazard with their devices. I wish they'd stay with some for longer. There are some great form factors and ideas in their back catalogue that they steadfastly show no interest in. Instead we get the likes of the current Galaxy Books.

That's certainly one area Apple do well.

It was a widely known issue for years, but pretty much nobody wanted to accept it and wanted to reap the benefits of now, not the future. That it would be accelerated by COVID was of course not to be known (that a pandemic was just waiting to happen was also known and also mostly put to the side too as people just wouldn't accept it..., well...)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    daddyfish, Bishop and Eltos like this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Playing around with an x86-64 PC with the Android apps/Play Store. One thing I'll admit I'm impressed with is that apps which support the pen (like Sketchbook for example) support pressure and tilt.

The same cannot be said about games using an Xbox controller, for what it's worth. Some buttons are detected but the joystick and d-pad don't seem to be recognized.

daddyfish and Tams like this.
  6. Eltos

True, look at airlines. Two decades ago there was plenty of extra flights. I think everyone optimized their supply lines to eliminate waste and maximize profit.

The problem is that they also eliminated the slack and redundancy in the system.

Tams likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I call that resiliency and reliability. Yes, it has an increased incremental cost. I haven’t seen much on comparing the missed opportunity cost experienced in times like these to that incremental cost.

sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  8. Eltos

I haven't either, but it's like corporations no longer care if they lose customers or about lost sales at all. Inconvenience you by not running two extra flights per day and now you have to wait an entire day to get where you are going? We are already out of the exact model you want/need? Did you see our last stock price? We don't care.

It's almost like missed opportunity is difficult to accurately measure, so as a result they just don't worry about it. Waste is easy to measure. Even fast food joints have done this with the pandemic. They hide behind the fact they can't hire anybody, and now just shut the lobby down and close completely for the late-night unprofitable hours.

They are doing better than ever.

Tams likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

United Airlines all but bragged about it in the WSJ this past week.

Eltos likes this.
  10. Eltos

That's just....infuriating! What else is new? I am glad that my job is mostly work-from-home now. Back in the day I averaged 10-15 trips per year and it was fine. Now? It would take FOREVER to get anywhere and back.