Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So are people here excited about Android apps on Windows...>>

I am, for one, because many toys and devices have companion apps that are typically only written for iOS or, mostly, Android and never, never for Windows. In fact, the major reason that I bought my Duo was because it would let me enjoy a shading of Microsoft and also allow me to use these various apps. (In fact, now that I think of it, I'm a little surprised that no one ever mentions companion apps in the context of these forums.) As for the apps themselves, I don't think that many of them would be familiar to the folks here. Maybe the app that goes with Cozmo, a toy that I tinkered with a few years ago and am currently saving for when my new granddaughter get to be old enough to appreciate it... Other apps are associated with my laser rangefinder and its solver, my chronograph, GPS locator, and a few other devices and toys.

Being able to run these on a Windows device, with a decently-sized screen, would be great...

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice, you're right, I had not thought about 'companion apps', makes total sense.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok I have to admit, my most anticipated apps are mobile gacha games. :oops:

I mean half of these have you constantly auto-grinding, managing this screen or that, collecting timed rewards—literally made for running in a small window in the background to distract you from work. :D

yodamiked and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I guess iOS users will just have to glue their phones to their monitors to replicate the experience :p

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Funny you should mention that, but my the first reaction to the M1 Mac reveal was, 'Sweet! Now I can run iOS mobile gacha games in small windows on desktop MacOS.' :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's pretty slow to launch apps on my Pro X if I choose to run Android 'as needed'. Much faster if I choose to run Android continuously, but that will presumably have a huge battery impact.

The couple of apps I tried work fine, if a bit laggy (I wouldn't want to read Kindle books the way this currently runs for example, though I do also read fast in general). Kind of a bad selection of apps in the initial preview of 50, most of it seems like shovelware games.

But like a lot of others, I can't imagine what I'd actually want this for other than it being a neat proof of concept.

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most of the Android apps that would/will be of use are niche apps. But there are so many niches/products/services that they cover that they are of a lot of value.

There aren't many that I'd like/am looking forward to, but two in particular almost make be salivate. One is just never going to come to Windows (I asked the developer) and another has a half-arsed app from back when Microsoft were pushing UWP and 'Metro'. It hasn't been updated in years and just making an app from the website works better.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

That's basically Amazon Appstore in a nutshell. Once people mod in Google Play and Google App Store, though, it will be a far better experience. Also, APK sideloading is now a thing too thanks to the Android Subsystem:

I may move to Windows 11 if this registry hack ever works again or Start11 gets out of beta. Otherwise, the UI is a huge step back and a no-go for me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW: There is really weird and obscure text bug with Edge in Windows 11. I didn't think it was even worth mentioning, or bothering with, but I'm seeing it here a little bit on TPCR. The bug is with what is nominally 9, 11, or 13 point serif type faces where the letters can essentially display partially on top of each other.

MS is aware and and a fix is coming, but I'm sharing so TPCR doesn't cursed at :)

JoeS likes this.