Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

MS is supposed to start briefing developers on "Update Stacks" as soon as this week. From what we've read so far, we think it might be a good idea especially for security fixes.(which this article neglects to point out)

Totally MS own fault, but the "monthly" or so cumulative updates have become a source of dread among many IT support staff. OTOH the pressure to keep systems secure is greater than ever

https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-introduces-update-stack-packages-to-improve-windows-updates

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Especially since several federal regulators have implemented count down clocks requiring installation of released patches into "key infrastructure" systems.

Remember, Equifax had postponed applying security patches to avoid system downtime before their breach. The recent Colonial Pipeline event will aggravate the demands for "install patches now or else" regulation.

sonichedgehog360, Tams and desertlap like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Eltos and Steve S like this.
  4. desertlap

So for the more "adventurous" out there, the alpha binaries for Android app support have "leaked" and can be found out in the wild.

Two major caveats first off though.

First and most importantly, at least two of the downloads we found, also had malware on board so proceed with extreme caution.

Second IMHO they seem to be very much alpha and not beta at this point and are unfinished and buggy to the max.

That out of the way, when they work, they can work quite well and the level of integration can be impressive. For example a popular messaging app can have an icon in the task bar that also serves to provide notifications.

One fairly popular game also works surprisingly well considering it runs with emulation due to it being an ARM binary running on Intel including playable full screen results as long as you don't crank the details to the max.

So now the bad news. One thing that we've wondered about is how it would deal with the multitude of display configurations inherent to windows including the most basic things like resolution, aspect ratio, and bit depth.

So far from what we saw, it's even worse than on Android tablets with a common symptom being that the app runs in phone sized window (maybe). That of course looks positively miniscule on a 15 inch 4k display.

MS seems to be aware of that issue and they have a framework similar to what Samsung does with DEX which attempts to "force" apps to either run full screen or in a movable window. Again IMHO, it makes DEX looks positively pristine in comparison.

So the TLDR, IMHO, I suspect formal release is still a good way off and may not be the panacea that some are hoping for.

nnthemperor, JoeS and Eltos like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I suspect formal release is still a good way off and may not be the panacea that some are hoping for...>>

However, typically Microsoft: Over promise and under deliver...

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

So are people here excited about Android apps on Windows, assuming at some point they will work well? And if so, which specific ones?

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Nope. I can't think of a single Android app I'd want on my laptop.

8. JoeS

Maybe Google maps with downloadable maps for more informed looking out the plane window? Maybe some video streaming apps with downloadable media options? But Prime video and Netflix on Windows already do that. Maybe the Kindle app. That's about it for me I think.

9. desertlap

Agreed,

Kindle App, Google Maps, and the Gmail app.

Now that I've had my fold awhile I prefer the Gmail app to the web interface , especially for notifications.

Maps on windows sucks, and Google Maps with say a LTE enabled Go or Pro would be a great navigation tool.

The Kindle app for PC is serviceable and that's about the best I can say about it.

But.... to pour a bit of cold water on this, it's unclear if the the google apps will make it at all, as they require a bunch of supporting stuff like android system web view. OTOH it's relatively simple to hack it on to the Fire tablets, so who knows?

Eltos, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  10. JoeS