Windows 11 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonichedgehog360, Jun 5, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Share all your gripes, wish lists, and musings about Windows 11, the hyped up successor to the last version of Windows. ;)

For anyone who is wanting a full-fledged bootable ISO of Windows 11 in a safe and legal way, I recommend UUP dump. It just grabs the install ESDs direct from Microsoft's own servers and builds and serves up an ISO on the fly. For example, as of 7/3/2021, you just would (1) select Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 for your respective platform (AMD64 or ARM64), (2) check only Windows Pro as the edition, (3) select download and convert to ISO and leave everything else at default and download it, and (4) extract the downloaded zip and run the uup_download_windows.cmd file as administrator. As you might surmise, this is also a safe and legal way (outside of paying $500 for a Visual Studio subscription) to get early access to the RTM/final build at the year's end instead of waiting on Microsoft's moronic delay to early 2022 for their upgrade rollout.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Off the top-of-my-head Wish list:
    Windows Store that works properly.
    Less "bloatware" at first installation
    No Internet Explorer and other unremovable software.
    Closer integration of touch support - to extend across full power desktops and any ARM devices.

One thing I always notice is how my initial small installation footprint slowly becomes a huge footprint over time. Not as bad as trying to clean up the "Other" files on any MacOS device but it's still there.

I also hope Office 365 doesn't keep being forced down my throat either - my personal laptop is an art machine and I don't want to keep being asked or offered 365. It's fine on a work laptop - they pay for it but I don't want to sync or get work emails / work notifications when I am on my private time.

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

better have a command prompt...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Charging 12% sellers fees is daylight robbery if the store is letting developers down as badly as the article shows. I can't remember the last time I downloaded or bought from Windows App store and probably never will unless Windows 11 sorts this out.

On the other side, at least with Windows there are alternatives where you can host self-written games or comics for sale such as itch.io and steam. Practically impossible without jailbreaking to list, sell or download an indie game for the iPad.

6. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

I’ve been waiting to find out if Win11 will be a mandatory “upgrade” like feature updates. Still no info AFAIK. But it is now known when Microsoft will cease support for all Win10 versions: October 14 2025.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windo...ollision-course-with-Windows-11.545507.0.html

21H1 is the last feature update. So once that’s in a condition to not cause misery, and if MS doesn’t make Win11 mandatory, I might get four years of continuous stable Windows OS! Just security updates, hopefully without device-corrupting errors. I am so looking forward to it!

hiramkey and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is slightly odd to me since at least to date we have virtually zero official information on what the next version(s) of Windows will be.

Just with past history, when they announced windows 10, they at least did that before putting out EOL dates for Windows 7. (and of course they also extended the EOL date multiple times)

And I said in the Duo thread, the MS radio silence on this IS NOT HELPING. The entire rest of the tech world seems to aspire to be Apple, but the reality especially for Microsoft is that only Apple can act like Apple and their user base will at least tolerate it.

Because Windows is the defacto standard for the large majority of PC's, predictability and a defined path forward is essential and anything less, more or less "freezes" companies actions and was the primary factor why Windows 7 was/is still around for so long.

PS: We have heard rumors that a major driving force for a new version of Windows is that they are trying to address some long standing security vulnerabilities and additionally building some software mitigations for some of the X86 flaws like Specter which Intel still hasn't addressed. That last is far from official so take it with a grain of salt, but OTOH we have heard the same story from multiple sources.

To that point for example we hear Windows 11 will bring RFS (resilient file system) to the desktop . Something that was originally planned as part of Windows 10 but was scrapped prior to final release....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Starting to look real IMHO.

These alleged screen shots look good, very clean and perhaps slightly austere but getting away from some of the more garish looks of older versions of Windows
    microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Basically looks like Windows 10X's UI has become Windows 11. Which seems not great. (Edit: Though obviously this is just initial impressions from a bunch of screenshots at this time, and I'm hoping there's a few under-the-hood changes that are positive.)

Center start button sucks. The whole point of it being in the corner is a quick way to launch it with the mouse. The widgets screen looks like a continuation of the awful News & Weather thing they've added. And by getting rid of live tiles it means we're moving away from a custom view of the stuff I care about and moving to a forced view of what Microsoft thinks I care about.

The start menu 'recommended' crap looks like more of the awful 'Timeline' stuff that nobody ever used.

But hey, rounded corners and a new startup sound that I'll be turning off immediately. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member