Windows 11 on your Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by HJK, Dec 4, 2021.

?

Which OS do you think is better suited for *your* tablet scenario?

1. Windows 8.1

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Windows 10

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Windows 11

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. It is too early to tell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

With the launch of Windows 11, I think it would be insightful and helpful to have a discussion about who is making the switch on their tablets and how it is working out for them.
    Have you purchased a tablet with Windows 11 installed? If not, have you updated a tablet from Windows 11? What has your experience been like when using your device as a tablet?

My interest here is primarily about tablet usage.

So far, it seems to me that those of us who use and enjoy tablet mode on Windows 10 might be wise to continue using Windows 10, especially for the dwindling and scattered few who are still enjoying smaller (</= 11 inch screen) devices.

But maybe I'm wrong? Please share your thoughts!

If this thread exists, forgive me for duplicating it here.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  2. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

I frickin' loved the Win8 left edge 'flipping through apps' functionality. Based on that alone it's the winner for me. Windows 11 has made it impossible to switch apps with edge swipes (doesn't even bring up the task switcher anymore) and impossible to change brightness and volume using the right edge swipe, which is a pain in full screen apps.

On the upside, we have touchscreen gestures, that I could swear are customizable. Having a hard time finding that in the settings somehow, I now only see an option to turn them on or off, under bluetooth & devices > touch. I can only find customization options for the touchpad gestures. Was this changed, or am I looking in the wrong place? Or maybe I was just dreaming..

HJK and dellaster like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Win 8 tablet UX bar none. I repost this every once in a while, but it bears some repeating: Win 8 had the slickest multi-tasking touch interface of any tablet ever.

More intuitive, more responsive than even the current iPad Pros. I still don't understand why they didn't port this over as 'Tablet Mode' in Windows 10/11.

neongolden, HJK and dellaster like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

What they said.

HJK likes this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm using Windows 11 on a 10.6" display. It's really not much different in regards to tablet use. Sure, tablet mode has gone, but I never used it. Battery life perhaps seems a little better?

That said, I do have Start11 installed, so it very much looks and feels like Windows 10.

HJK likes this.
  6. HJK

Yes, yes, and yes! Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. I look around and see all the hate for Win 8.1 and the general disregard for Windows tablets and think, "Is something wrong with me? I mean, am I crazy? Or am I the only sane person out there who actually appreciates Windows 8, and everyone else is just not getting it?"

Having said that, I voted for Windows 10. Why? Well, two reasons. First, in general Windows has stopped supporting/encouraging development for Win 8.1, so Win 10 keeps all up-to-date options on the table. Secondly, more specifically, MS has announced that they will pull offline syncing on OneDrive from 8.1 early next year. That is a deal breaker.

So Win 10 is close enough to 8.1 that the lack of support for 8.1 puts it over the edge.

dellaster likes this.
  7. HJK

So, two follow up questions:
    1) Do you three still use 8.1? If so, on what devices and how?

2) Does anyone know of a work-around that will allow one to sync OneDrive files offline? If so, I may be tempted to try switching a device or two back to 8.1 and try it out again. If not, I can't see the point for my use. OneDrive is too central to everything I do.

8. dellaster

I didn't take the question to mean which is the best going forward but as in "of all time", not taking into account obsolescence.

Otherwise the only answer is Win11. Everything else is going to be discontinued before it. ;)

JoeS and HJK like this.
  9. dellaster

1) Just my old Fujitsu Stylistic Q584. It's not possible to put Win8.1 on newer devices made after Win10 came out, alas.

2) Sorry, no idea.

HJK likes this.
  10. HJK

In the question I didn't have in mind "of all time" or "going forward," but rather right now, in the moment you reply. Going forward I suppose I will eventuall switch to 11, if I am in fact still using Windows tablets by the time I decide to switch (just as likely, I'll go over to Android before switching to 11, perhaps--we'll see). But at this moment, I'm still favoring 10 for tablet use.

Sorry for being unclear; I think I will leave the question ambiguous, however. Ambiguity can generate interesting discussion, as we think about the question from different points of view.

dellaster likes this.