Windows 10 Transparent Disk Compression

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by zipmagic, Aug 16, 2015.

1. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

I have recently upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10.

To do this, I first decompressed my WIMBoot setup, of course. I was able to do this easily using DoubleSpace’s built-in Uncompress option. To do that, and still fit in, I had to uninstall a lot of programs, which didn’t really recover space until the decompression was complete, of course (as discussed in detail at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...feated-by-decades-old-ntfs-compression.65995/).

Then, I upgraded to Windows 10, and immediately compressed my disk using DriveSpace’s LZX option (maximum possible savings). The results of this compression are as follows:

post-drivespacemax-pre-compact(1).PNG

Then, to compare the results of this with the following most aggressive compression command line that you can get on Windows 10 natively, I ran the following from an elevated command prompt:

compact /c c:\* /s /a /i /f /exe LZX

The results of this compression are as follows:

post-compact(2).png

You will notice that compact.exe, for some reason, has substantially degraded the superior compression afforded by DriveSpace: Free space has gone down by 17 GB!

To see if I would be able to undo the damage by re-running DriveSpace, I repeated the original test with DriveSpace. I was able to recover all of the extra 17 GB back, as follows:

post-drivespacemax-post-compact(3).PNG

I can only speculate which of the DriveSpace optimizations covered at www.zipmagic.co/drive-space.html resulted in 13% better compression than compact.exe. I am of course very pleased that my optimizations and constant fine tuning and testing for Windows 10 have made a substantial difference.

I'll soon recompress the entire disk with DoubleSpace (WIMBoot) to see if WIMBoot still remains relevant in the Windows 10 world. Once I've found the best solution for Windows 10, I'll get back to stuffing my disk with data again and reinstalling everything I had to uninstall to make room for the upgrade!

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doublespace to WimBoot in w10 on a 32GB tablet ( like Dell Venue 8 Pro ) would be interesting

3. zipmagic

You could try it right now, it works.

4. zipmagic

I've completed converting my Windows 10 instance on the Surface Pro 3 to WIMBoot. The results establish DoubleSpace firmly as the compression king:

post-doublespace(6).PNG

DoubleSpace created 20 GB more free space, compared to DriveSpace's most advanced, new Windows 10 based compression.

DoubleSpace created 37 GB more free space, compared to Windows 10's built-in compact.exe compression.

To summarize the results in percentile values:

DriveSpace compresses 13% better than Windows 10 compact.exe.
    DoubleSpace compresses 35% better than Windows 10 compact.exe.
    DoubleSpace compresses 20% better than DriveSpace with Windows 10 compression.

If you need extra storage, DriveSpace seems to be the obvious choice: No reboot needed, runs while Windows is active, and easily defeats the best compression Windows 10 has to offer.

If you need to maximize your storage, DoubleSpace is the king of compression: While it does need a reboot and takes your PC offline, it offers compression that outpaces both Windows 10 and DriveSpace alike.

Whatever your needs, please enjoy :)

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Except you're ignoring the main reason WIMboot is being depreciated. As your OS is updated, a PC using WIMboot will store multiple copies of the same files... one from the original WIM recovery image, and one from the update. This quickly results in the OS install size blowing up:

[​IMG]

6. zipmagic

I have already covered this "space bleed" effect in detail many months ago, on this very forum; and I linked to that discussion in my very first post on this thread:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...feated-by-decades-old-ntfs-compression.65995/

In summary: Yes, the problem you have highlighted is so bad, that after installing just Windows updates and the Office 365 that come with a 16 GB eMMC tablet, WIMBoot is utterly unusable, and classic 20+ years old NTFS compression (but only when applied properly using a tool like DriveSpace [not the raw OS because it will fail to compress a majority of files on disk]) easily outperforms WIMBoot's space savings.

However this is not the case with DoubleSpace based WIMBoot compression, for the simplest reason that you can recompress your disk any time you start bleeding significant space. There's also many other optimizations as described at www.zipmagic.co/doublespace.html, so I won't rehash them here.

I agree that it is definitely inconvenient to have to recompress your disk to pick up the slack from uninstalled programs, deleted files, etc. (the space bleed problem applies equally to all files you have originally compressed but have since deleted from disk).

But if you have a relatively stable setup - as most corporations are likely to - then you wouldn't even need to do this maintenance for most of the time.

At any rate, this is exactly why I recommend DriveSpace first for Windows 10 systems, as its most advanced LZX compression significantly outdoes Windows 10's built-in compression - and only then DoubleSpace, after you've run out of all the "easy free space" you can create with DriveSpace (which runs without rebooting and while Windows is live; and instantly recovers space from deleted apps, files, etc.)

In fact, the recommended strategy remains the same even on Windows 8.1 - even though DriveSpace can only apply LZNT1 compression there (the decades old stuff), it still makes sense to first compress your disk on-line and while all your apps are still running - before you start looking at offline processing alternatives to create all the free space possible.

So in this regard, the good news is that Windows 10 has significantly improved the above "online compression" scenario; offering dramatically more space savings with LZX compared to LZNT1.

And the better news is that if you still run out of space, WIMBoot technology remains fully applicable with DoubleSpace tooling.

disk space usage infographic.png

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015