Windows 10 Threshold 2 on TPT2

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by TruenoGT, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Back when Win10 first released, I upgraded my Thinkpad Tablet 2 despite apparent incompatibility and unsurprisingly, it was pretty glitchy and rough, mostly due to the unsupported display adapter, but also due to general Windows 10 earliness.

With TH2 out, I thought I'd give it another go to see how it went since I know from experience it's pretty easy to flash back to 8.1. Surprisingly, it works pretty well! I didn't need to fetch any extra drivers from Lenovo and everything seems to work as expected.

It's not as snappy as 8.1, but it's actually usable now. Drawing performance is identical to 8.1 (tested in OneNote and Manga Studio 5), though transitions in the UI are a bit more sluggish. Unlike many, I actually think the tablet environment in 10 is on par with 8.1, though I understand why some may not like it as much.

My main impetus in wanting 10 was being able to use the universal Office apps (and other new universal apps) and do pen remoting. Office apps work great, but pen (and touch) remoting to my desktop (over Wi-Fi) was very slow (like drawing/touching in slow motion, not slow in frame rate). I suspect this has more to do with graphic driver issues than network performance based on my experience with pen remoting using other systems.

Anyway, for what it's worth in case other TPT2 owners are curious. I'm planning to keep 10 on it though it's not a mission critical machine for me so I can deal with issues should they arise. There were plenty of oddities with 8.1 as well so it's a bit of an even trade for me.

2. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Horw about the Store and Edge are there still graphical glitches?

3. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had the text on Edge tabs disappear on me briefly, but the main browser area has been good (I am running with Flash disabled for what it's worth). Store has been good, though I've only used it a half dozen times.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I've had my TPT2 on Windows 10 since the end of September, after the display driver issues were fixed. Easy peasy upgrade, and I haven't had any problems. I've actually gotten improved performance. The battery drains a little less during connected standby/sleep, and Clip Studio Paint no longer crashes on a regular basis, which means I can use it again.

Strangely, though I got a "cumulative Windows 10 update" on November 11, my build version is still 10240- that is, NOT Threshold 2. I'm not fussed, since I'm not entirely sure what the update has to offer that isn't Skylake-oriented, I just think it's weird.

Edit: I've read that TH2is being rolled out slowly, but I would have thought that it would be done being rolled out by now. Possibly this isn't the case. Eh.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.