Windows 10 Success!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Joshua A Gray, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Joshua A Gray

Joshua A Gray Pen Pal - Newbie

So after much playing around on the Desktop today, I decided to go forward on the Dell. And hours and hours later I have success. I had to reset the tablet removing all my files, which was ok because everything is stored on the 128gb Drive D ;) however even then I only was able to muster up 6gb of free space and that was not enough. After reset I was left with 12gb, I then used the USB Install Media to upgrade. Now that the system has been upgraded I will be doing a fresh install with the ISO just for that added bonus of clarity.

However, my initial thoughts... Not bad! Tablet Mode is pretty decent. But I don't get why there is a Windows Icon that doesn't work during tablet mode unless your in a window. Its just a constant Windows 8 style start screen, no desktop like before and there is a Windows Icon that you can press all you like and nothing happens lol. But running in normal mode is very easy now. Things are a little larger so are easier to press.

Have any questions feel free to ask. But do know, you probably will need to reset the tablet before doing the upgrade for the Initial Install. And do perform this correctly, you must use the 32bit USB Tool microsoft is providing. Because after you reset, it will prob take a month to get your Windows Update unless you force it to work. I just find the USB Tool is too easy and bypasses any headache and tears.

If you decide to do a fresh install after, Remember you must use something like Rufus to create a UEFI Bootable USB using Windows 10 Home, Not Pro. Home is made specifically for tablets. The Upgrade installs Home. Its unfortunate but if you look at the differences, there aren't many and non I cannot live without.

Enjoy!
    11817234_1035117129855686_4637260172972902546_n.jpg

10401981_1035117139855685_8620926524895279244_n.jpg

2. metanct

metanct Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried using the USB install but i cant find my product key when it prompts me to enter it.

how did you get your product key?

3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Home is not specifically made for tablets. It's made for home users that don't need to connect to domains. The only other significant difference (for me) is the fact that Home doesn't offer Remote Desktop.

From what I understand is that you don't enter a key when upgrading. And after you have upgraded (and your copy is activated, which can take some time due to people hammering the service atm) you can do a fresh install where you don't enter a key, as your device will be attached to your key. And the activation service will recognize your device and thus activate it again.

4. metanct

metanct Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe there is something wrong with how i'm "upgrading". But i used the media creation tool from microsoft and selected USB. once it was done, I put my thumbdrive in the dell venue pro and simply clicked "setup" A little windows 10 splash screen comes up and finally it presents me with a screen that asks me to enter my prodcut key. that's where my adventure ends. I tried two tools to reveal the product key thats hidden in the registry but none of the keys worked.

I selected Windows Pro BTW, maybe i should have selected Win Home version?

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

It does sound like you're doing a fresh install instead of an upgrade. And if your tablet runs Home now, you'll have to use a Home upgrade, yes.

6. Joshua A Gray

According to Microsofts website home is specifically for tablets. When upgrading you do not have a choice, it chooses Home based on your device.

As for the upgrade, you must upgrade first. Which means in the usb tool you chose the first option Upgrade This Computer and go from there. After this you can fresh install and skip product key entry.

This is a free upgrade, you do not have a choice in which os is installed. Yes You can chose which os you want to download onto a pen drive or save iso but you then will need to pay for it. The upgrade is the only way to get Windows for life, and it chooses which is to install depending on your device. My desktop got Pro, tablet Got Home. I googled it to find out why and it specifically says Tablet users will receive Home as an upgrade.

It does have Remote desktop but client only. Not host.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. metanct

metanct Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll try the "upgrade this computer option" and i'll post the results.

8. mpholic

mpholic Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you use the Windows 10 default drivers or reinstall the Dell drivers? I didn't find any tablet drivers for win10 on the Dell page.

What do you mean reset the tablet? Do you mean Restore from the recovery partition?

9. Joshua A Gray

I have not installed drivers but if you get to the point of fresh installing you need some drivers or a USB hub with at least a mouse on it lol. So far Windows 10 has handled the drivers itself. Everything works fine.

Oh and I mean you go Inot settings and backup/recovery and then reset. A full reset where it starts over fresh. That way you have enough space to do the upgrade. Then you can do a fresh install after upgrade is activated.

10. Joshua A Gray

Ok, Windows web page states that Windows 10 Home is mainly for Tablets but the real thing is, they are going by which version you started out with. These tablets only have Windows 8.1, not Pro. So just plain 8.1 is mated with Windows 10 Home. As unfortunate as that is.

Windows 8.1 = Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 Pro = Windows 10 Pro