Windows 10 'Preparation' upgrade knocked out touch driver

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Broacher, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Broacher

Broacher Pen Pal - Newbie

Today (July 27, 2017) my Asus 8 which has been running smoothly for the year it's been on Win10, notified me that it was doing a preparatory upgrade for the upcoming Creative whatever you call it, Win10 upgrade. Fine.

Except, I've lost touch on the screen. In Device Manager, I see yellow flags in the 12C HID Device listing, as well as a new listing for 'unknown device' which seems to use the same driver.

Anyone else experienced this?

2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure it's the same issue, but I had something similar. Have you tried installing the cost driver from the Asus support page? I believe you have to look for it under win 8.1 drivers.

3. Broacher

I might try the 8.1 driver install again. I did try reinstalling the Wacom driver and discovered something afterwards.

I still had yellow flags in Device Manager for the 'Unknown Device' and one of two 12C HID Device listings. When I deactivated these and rebooted nothing changed. When I removed the 12C HID Device (that was yellow flagged) Windows did a reinstall of a driver and I got touch back again.
    That is... until I shut the machine down into Sleep mode and it disappeared when it woke up again. So I shut off Sleep options and it more or less seems to be stable. Except once, coming back on this morning -- touch was gone again until I went in and deactivated the 12C HID driver again.

Maybe the errant 12C HID Device driver properties gives some clues:
    - June 2006 Microsoft driver (ver. 10.0.14393.0)
    - "Code 22" is the error I get with this driver when it wonks out. ("Request for the HID descriptor failed")
    - it's connected to two driver files: hidi3c.sys and mshidkmdf.sys. (I'm going to check the dates on those and see if they wre part of the update yesterday)

One other thing...
    Even when things seem back to working normally, in a couple of apps, I don't have the finger touch pan function anymore -- but the two finger pinch zoom works. And, if a drawing app has a preference setting to use either Wintab or TabletPC for stylus input, the TabletPC choice works fine but WinTab stops responding to pressure.

Thanks for chiming in! I realize it's an old machine, but I use it all the time as a nice light sketchbook. I hope I can keep doing so!

4. Broacher

I actually found a new driver install package for Win 10 and after a few attempts, I have now working drivers for touch and also the original Intel video driver (I hadn't noticed that the vid driver had been skipped and replaced with a MS generic driver until after my first posting here).

The only thing still out is the webcam. In the device manager, it reads as installed and fine after I applied the new Asus Win10 package, but as far as the apps go, there's still no camera found.

If I find a fix for this I'll get back here and post it.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the camera, try to reinstall the soc package.