Windows 10 (phone) preview

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree that the iOS apps ported to the UWP will be better quality than the Android apps that would have just run on phone. Except that's a lot of work to support something with barely any market. (And being universal doesn't change that - Snapchat for just one very popular example doesn't care about the millions of PCs running Windows 10 as their app has nothing to do with the tablet or PC). If Microsoft is doing 99% of the work for a developer, it's likely to happen. If Microsoft is just doing half of the work and the developer needs to do the rest, it's pretty unlikely.

jangaru likes this.
  2. jangaru

jangaru Pen Pal - Newbie

Its worrisome too because according to one iOS developer Islandwood is at least a year or two from being remotely usable...

http://wmpoweruser.com/project-islandwood-explained-in-new-video/

I was looking forward to finally sideloading Snapchat on a new Lumia. Guess I'll have to hold on at least half a year to see if the app situation improves.

3. kiran chaitanya

kiran chaitanya Pen Pal - Newbie

finally what you say???is it good or worst??

4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Having seen the writing on the wall as to the (non-)future of Windows phone, for the past month I've been using my Galaxy S3 exclusively in preparation for my next phone being Android.

Big failure.

The last straw was yesterday when it corrupted my mSD card (again!) while I was using the S3 as a GPS in my motor home. All offline maps wiped out, not to mention a few gigabytes of audiobooks, etc. And I was in an area with no cellular service, at least not Verizon, with me clueless as to which way to turn next. Lost in south Texas somewhere... :p

I hate Android. Don't like Samsung devices much, either. Not now.

So I fired up my Lumia 920 and got going again with its HERE Drive+ and offline maps. Dependable as a friendly old burro and twice as tough and durable. Windows 10, latest build, runs smoothly and the experience is great as always since I got the device over three years ago.

I'm back to the 920 for daily use and I'll keep the Galaxy S3 in a drawer somewhere to pull out only when I absolutely need an Android app, like if I need to scan a check for deposit to my credit union.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.