Windows 10 (phone) preview

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

Has reading mode always saved an article for offline reading if you saved it from the "reading view"? In 8.1, at least, there are no commands on screen when in reading view so I know you can't.. Reading list was more a transient bookmark app to me. Since you needed to be online...

But if you can save articles offline, and do it from mobile or desktop and go back and forth, that seems nifty...

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I did a hard reset on my 635 and my 920, just because I wanted all of those extra settings apps to be back in "Extras" in settings. A previous build messed that up and put them all throughout my app list. But yeah, the build is a great improvement on both devices. It's the first one I'd consider usable on a day to day basis, I think. I mean, I kept my 920 as my daily driver for the majority of earlier previews, but this is the first build that doesn't make me feel like a masochist for doing so.

I'd bet this one goes out to the Slow ring in a week or two, because this is pretty good. The only real issue (other than minor bugs) that I've seen is that it seems that after the device restore, my apps were redownloaded in the (old) Store app... which is fine. But then, as soon as I check for updates in the new Store Beta app, it forces me to reinstall every app again for some reason.

This is probably the biggest jump in quality I've seen in any build in the Insider program since it started; considering the last build was 9 days ago it's crazy how much better this one is.

3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

just picked up a 640 yesterday for $99. very nice phone, with update 2. thought it would be a nice hardware upgrade anticipating official Win 10 release.

edit: dang, just discovered the native Wi-Fi support on this phone for T-mobile. old Wi-fi app on 521 never worked at work through company firewall. just tested the 640 and was able to make calls and receive texts in area with no bars from the carrier. This is huge news. Will Win10 update include this native support on older phones or does it require specific hardware/chip set to pull this off?

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-enabling-native-wi-fi-calling-hd-voice-lumia-640

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. jhoff80

I've been using the preview on my backup phone, a 920, for a while now, and after more use of this current build, I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, I'm far more of a fan of where this is going than I am on PC, and there are some features that have been added that make it hard to go back to WP8.1 (for example, with the exception of missing support for linked inboxes, Outlook Mail is so far ahead of the old Mail client that it's not even funny).

On the other hand, there are some neat things about WP8.1 that have been removed. I miss being able to go to a contact's page and see my complete history with them so that I could pull up an old email or text message). I miss how easy it was to create a new appointment from the SMS app (dates and times would be underlined to create a new event from that).

But most of all, I miss not having random times where the phone stops working for 10-15 minutes at a time. After a reboot, or sometimes without rebooting (maybe some system process is crashing and restarting without me knowing about it), my start screen doesn't load for a long while. All I see is "Loading..." I can still use the quick actions to go to settings, or use Cortana to launch apps, but other things that don't work until the phone finishes stabilizing are Wifi, Bluetooth, text messages, and phone calls.

I guess mainly what I'm saying is that I really hope they find time before the Windows 10 PC launch to put out another preview build for phones (though I doubt they will). :D

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This is among the most reported things on the feedback app, so at least they're fully aware that this is a big problem. For me it has all but gone away after removing a bunch of tiles and folders from my start screen (L1520). I also removed all previously pinned IE tiles, not sure if that did the trick. I'm hoping for a new build soon as well, even if it just removes a couple of these glitches. For me the fact that the photos app doesn't shows albums/folders on the SD card is pretty annoying, I hope they get around to fixing that as well.

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Do they have groove music integrated in to the W10 OS for the phone? I am actually digging the music now in my Onedrive.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yes.... yes they do.....

soh5 likes this.
  8. jhoff80

So the Project Astoria dev tools leaked. As a reminder, this is the Android 'bridge' to run APKs on the phone. Works on my 920, but not on the 635 (it might need the 1GB RAM version of the 635 to work). I was surprised to see that basically there is a special "wconnect" tool, and then from there the developer just connects with adb.

Anyway I connected my phone with it, and it seems to work pretty well until the app gets confused by needing Google services. If developers buy into this, it could really be a gamechanger for Windows on phones.

9. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

10. jhoff80

Ubergizmo is quoting WMPU, which as I mentioned in another thread on the topic, almost definitely got this one completely wrong:

Those specs don't make any sense whatsoever. WMPU almost definitely got this one completely wrong. For one, the SoFIA x3 is a low end chip, not capable of a lot of what is described in this so-called leak. Not only would it make zero sense to pair 3 or 4GB of RAM with such a low-end chip (think, slower than current Cherry Trail stuff), but as the top commenter there pointed out, the SoC they mention is incapable of a 13MP camera, it's limited to USB 2.0, and maxes out at a 1080p display.

There might possibly be an x86 Windows 10 Mobile phone in the works; this is definitely not it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.