Windows 10 (phone) preview

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Office Universal Apps coming to WP10 phone. Might tempt me to take the plunge on my 928. How stable is the platform ATM?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'd say wait for the next release. The 'bugs' thread (first sticky here) is alarmingly long.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If it's a primary phone I wouldn't recommend it. I've had 10051 on my backup phone (a 920) since that preview build first came out. It's very slow and very buggy right now. Also, I suspect that there will be another build released before the time the Office apps come out (and until they do, you have no OneNote, and no access to the older Office apps either).

If it's a backup phone and you can be patient with it, it's got some good things in there right now. I'm more confident about the direction on phones than I am the direction on PC, to be honest. The PC user interface (especially with regards to tablets) is all over the place. I don't feel like they have the foundation of that interface figured out yet. On phones, they're pretty much keeping an interface that works. The problems I have with the phone version are mostly the very early apps.

Though unrelated, the Windows Phone interface which this retains has many limitations - despite Microsoft's direction on this, I don't know that it'll work when it comes to 7" tablets (even though some of the universal apps appear to scale up nicely, I just feel like the OS itself is too limiting here).

Edit: Oh, and my battery life is horrid on the preview.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks. I'll wait.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm running it on my 1520 and it was really buggy until I did a hard reset and treated it has a fresh install instead of the upgrade....

6. jhoff80

The phone build is up to 10080 now and has the Office Preview apps available in Store (Beta). However, I would say that this build is even buggier than the last. My upgrade was broken entirely. After 4 hours of waiting for the start screen to load, I gave up and did a device reset.

Even after the reset, there's a ton of bugs (some just weird, like a miniature jump list on my all apps screen or the MSN Weather app completely vanishing even though the phone says its installed, and others are hugely frustrating), and performance is just abysmal (like, I'm seeing apps sometimes take 10 seconds to open - that is, if they open without crashing on the first try).

Getting all that out of the way (clearly this is still super early in the process, unlike full Windows 10 which is really just in the refinement stage at this point), the Office Preview apps are really nice on the phone. I have some complaints about OneNote, but Word, Powerpoint, and Excel are really great for the phone (other than the facts that my network printer isn't supported and that you can't browse OneDrive here either).

OneNote though, is missing a lot of things that I notice right away (probably because OneNote is my most used app besides probably email and texting). The first huge loss to me is that you can't pin a "new note" tile to your start screen any more. No audio recordings are possible either. So those are two big things from the previous phone app that are lost. On top of that, no new stuff like touch inking. Plus, you'd think with Office on the phone now standardizing behind this whole 'app bar ribbon' thing, that you would have the deeper formatting options of Word on the phone. Not so. I can't set rule lines on the phone either (just prefer that for consistency). Worst of all though, if I dismiss the keyboard with the back button I can't consistently bring it back.

I did play around with the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse support that are in this build a little. Currently it's a little too basic for me and doesn't add functionality. I'd prefer if I could for example type on the start screen and have it automatically start searching like big Windows does. Or if it supported scroll wheels, extra buttons (back/forward) etc. Still, nice to have, and I'm sure they're going to keep improving that sort of stuff so that Continuum for phones works great when phones are released that support it.

7. jhoff80

So obviously there's still a ton of work yet, but 10136 is far closer to tolerable than 10080 was. It's still slow and buggy, but it's drastically improved.

8. jhoff80

It's pretty early still, but after a few hours I'd say that 10149 is the first build ever which might make even a tiny bit of sense for the 'slow' ring. The previous build they put out there was terrible, but this one feels more like what you'd expect from a slightly more stable preview.

9. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm impressed with how much polish it seems to have advanced through... It runs rather alright on the 635...

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

10149 is running really well on my 1520, first one where I didn't need to do a hard reset....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.