Windows 10 (phone) preview

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Microsoft has released an updated version of what used to be called the Nokia Care Suite for that purpose....now called the Microsoft Mobile Recovery Tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522381

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Not bashing here, but my Android phones can do all of that for couple years now. Where is the innovative-ness? The only thing I'd like in my phone from them is the live tiles and the camera...

IMO is still better than an iPhone but they need to up their game if they want Android users to migrate to this platform.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That does flash you back to 8.1, but it doesn't back up your device beforehand. You're completely reliant on the Windows Phone 8.1 built-in backup, which isn't actually all that great (as developers need to update their apps to take advantage of backups, there's a ton of older apps and games in which you lose your data). Just something to keep in mind.

Personally, I picked up a cheap Lumia 635 to play with the preview, (mostly because I had Amazon Credit I couldn't figure out what to use it on anyway). I wouldn't recommend putting your main phone on this preview. There aren't that many new features (most of it is waiting on new apps) to be worth it, plus it's a bit buggy.

As for the people saying it only plays catchup with Android and iOS, in my opinion that's what they needed to do. Windows Phone has never had a problem with having its own unique features; it's got a ton of those which still haven't been duplicated yet. Apps aside, where Windows Phone fails is in feature parity to things that iOS and Android both have that it doesn't. It comes pretty close in the latest 8.1 update, but there still have been some things missing. So to catch up on some of those things is pretty huge.

The real question is whether the Windows 10 'universal app' story will be compelling enough for developers to take advantage of. I doubt it will be (the most important stuff that it's missing - bank apps, airline apps, those sorts of services) don't typically have PC apps in the first place. But we'll see.

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

[QUOTE="jhoff80, post: 427704, member: 15471"
    The real question is whether the Windows 10 'universal app' story will be compelling enough for developers to take advantage of. I doubt it will be (the most important stuff that it's missing - bank apps, airline apps, those sorts of services) don't typically have PC apps in the first place. But we'll see.[/QUOTE]

The thing is that even the apps in the Win so store lack features. For instance, had anybody been able to see their orders on the Amazon app? You can't. You can't even delete a wish list item on that app. Things like those frustrate users and is one that would stop me from migrating. Jobs knew this. He knew he didn't have to spend resources on OS or hardware to attract customers. All he had to do is invest in App development. It's not till lately after realizing that Android is taking big chunks of phone market that Apple started throwing users a bone in OS features. The first 2 iPhone iterations didn't have Copy-paste features. Can you believe it? And it still sold good; why? APPS!

I really don't like a lot of things in Android, but for now Win has lots of catch up for me to fully migrate. I hope they do tho, oh and I hope they ever release a phone with active pen - EMR, AES N-Trig whatever...

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. jhoff80

Actually, the first iPhone didn't have apps (for the first year of its life - apps only came at launch of the 3G). It sold well because it had a user interface that blew away anything else that was available at the time. ;)

I agree though. The apps that Windows and Windows Phone do get definitely lack features. And worse is when an app gets dumped in the store and then immediately abandoned (Instagram Beta, LinkedIn, etc.).

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I actually like my Lumia. I am clearly not a power user, but it does everything I need from a phone. I like the live tiles and the OS is very intuitive.

7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. jhoff80

(With regards to the hub part of your blog post:) The new Photos app is pretty nice, but yeah, in 8.1 it at least used to have a link to Facebook albums. Now it doesn't even have that (only local and OneDrive).

9. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

just wait. these phones will be running our PC programs before long. picked up a 64gb microSD card from BB for $34. put it in my 521 and downloaded all my files from my computer to it. have decades of files from my paperless office. can use files app and go through all the files and folders. lots of the files are .pdf so I can view those directly. I grin every time I pick up my phone now. so much can be done with them now. and sandisk announced a 200gb microSD...

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Still no solid proof, but in new screenshots of a newer build the "speech, inking and typing" section is still there.

[​IMG]

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.