Windows 10 (phone) preview

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not sure how many people even care, but Windows 10 for phones went into preview today for a small number of mid-range devices:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...of-windows-10-technical-preview-for-phones-2/

Definitely appears to be some good stuff there, but one of the things it demonstrates to me is how dumb Microsoft is being by naming both platforms "Windows 10" (instead of "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 Mobile" for example). These are very clearly not the same OS, and having marketing call them the same doesn't really make it so.

Edit: One possible tease from the video (which I first saw mentioned on The Verge's comments section):

[​IMG]

If you look closely at that Jan 30 ~10am meeting on Belfiore's demo calendar, it does say "built-in inking". Maybe a hint, maybe it means nothing, who knows?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A user on WPCentral just posted a settings page that clearly shows 'inking'. Unless it's fake, but I don't think so.

[​IMG]

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Probably not fake, but that's a direct copy of the text in the Windows 10 setting app. Considering it's the same app (Settings is a universal app now), I'd think it's something they just overlooked. Still, I hope that I'm wrong.

4. JoeS

I'm throwing caution to the wind and choose to believe in a future where WP10 phones will get inking support. Preferably on the next flagship!

jhoff80 likes this.
  5. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

(Please please discover my 1520 had a digitzer in it all along...!!)

excalibur1814, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  6. jl199954

Ug. Dropped my phone today. Cracked the glass. I was already bumming because the 1520's weren't getting Win10 preview yet. I watched a repair tutorial, but for $90 more than a new LCD and touch digitizer I can get a used one in top shape without the risk of killing it after paying for a new glass/digitizer panel.

I should remember I got this for around $5 last Feb when MS was making their big phone push. I need to thank my wife for never breaking her hand me down phones & not caring that they are hand me down phones.

7. JoeS

But where's the fun in that? :D

Also: my commiserations.

8. jl199954

Maybe I can wedge an Ntrig panel in there while I dig into it.

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

We Verizon users just got WP8.1 and I'm still getting used to that. Can we backup WP8.1 to reload it if W10 proves to be glitch.

10. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly that looks nothing like Windows Phone and seems to be trying to mimic android and ios, but with the app gap alive and well I don't see how that's going to be a selling point since they have obviously thrown away almost everything that made WP stand out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.