Windows 10 pen tablets with Thunderbolt 3 and external GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATIVQ, May 30, 2016.

1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The prophecy has been fulfilled. Creative professionals and gamers can now get a thin and light tablet with a powerful external GPU.

- Asus Transformer 3 Pro - Core i7 (6th gen? 7th gen?), 12.6", 2880x1920 (3:2), GTX 1080 GPU, active (Wacom? Microsoft? Synaptics?) pen, 16GB RAM
    - Asus Transformer 3 - Core (m? i?) 6th gen, 12.6", 2880x1920 (3:2), GTX 1080 GPU, active (Wacom? Microsoft? Synaptics?) pen, 8GB RAM

People! You can stop whining about lack of options! The floodgates have opened! We're bound to see many more external-GPU tablets now.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  2. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

and full hdmi port, that was weird but useful.
    I think it'll be my next device, if the pen is good.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I thought it will be Kaby Lake 7th gen, not Skylake 6th gen.

4. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

that's the non pro version (which does not have a kickstand )

the pro version they just said up to i7 and didn't say which gen

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Correct. My mistake.

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

While the Asus Transformer 3 Pro isn't the first it's at least the first with better CPU than a Core m :)
    Now it all stands and falls with the stylus tech...

Acer Aspire Switch 12 S (Synaptics :( , Core m :( , 16:9 :( )
    Dell Latitude 12 7000 Series 2-in-1 (Wacom AES , Core m :( , 16:9 :( )
    Dell XPS 12 (2015) (Wacom AES , Core m :( , 16:9 :( )
    HP Elite x2 1012 (Wacom AES , Core m :( , 3:2 :) )

And finally with a fixed keyboard:

Acer Aspire R 13 (R7-372T) (Synaptics :( , Core i :) , 16:9 :( )

Marty likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So in one swoop, Asus has presented us with a Surface Pro 4 clone, a Surface 3 Clone, and a Samsung Tab Pro S clone.

At this point I'm fairly certain Wacom AES is almost a guarantee....in the past Asus usually stuck with Wacom EMR for most of the past penabled devices, and with pretty much almost every OEM being AES compliant, I'd imagine Asus would likely fall in line as well.

And even though the blurp about the Transformer Mini doesn't mention the optional active pen like it does for the Transformer 3 and 3 Pro....some of the pictures of the Transformer Mini's keyboard clearly show a pen loop..... so most likely the Asus Active Pen will work on all three.

Honestly the Mini interests me the most.....Granted I'd rather Core M over the now aging cherry trail, but $350 "With Keyboard" makes it's price very attractive. I just pray its got 4GB of Ram and not 2GB.

However I would be a bit hesitant for plunking down for any of the 3 of them.....provided Asus did indeed go with Wacom AES......with those Upcoming Speced out Gen 13 pens due out by years end.....even if they are backwards compatible with all previously released AES based tablets.....I would still question if all pre-Gen 13......or rather Gen 12 AES systems would be able to take full advantage of the Gen 13 pens. Especially since AES is essentially a copy of N-trig's type pen tech, and with N-trig digitizer improvements always required new hardware.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think it's AES because all of those devices have 2048 pressure levels. I think Asus continues to use Synaptics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't forget the exact design copy of Macbook 12 as well. They could've up the usb port number by 1 but no, they are satisfied with just one like Apple :D

Asus never fail to deliver weird config. I'm kinda sure they'll give the mini 2GB of RAM and don't forget the pen is still mysterious.

http://press.asus.com/PressReleases/p/ASUS-Presents-Zenvolution-at-Computex-2016#.V00n05F96Ul

10. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

It's exactly the thing I'm looking for, not sure of the ASUS GX2 eGPU because it looks absolutely horrible....I do really hope we see another design that's a bit more professional looking like the Razer Core.
    Overall I like these new ASUS tablets.
    Not sure how well the core m version will handle gaming but the pro's i5/i7 should be fine as long as thermals are kept in check.
    Anyone know anything about Kaby Lake?
    If you want to game the "core m" CPUs seem a bit underwhelming.