Windows 10 on Thinkpad Tablet 10?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by terry mc, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

I am always on the look out for a replacement for the TP10, especially over the last month waiting for after CES to see if there was anything worth buying to replace it. Frankly, the benefits are minimal, without spending $1500 for an HP Elite X2 (1012) m5 8gb ram. Fingerprint, Pen, WAN, tablet, etc.

The benefits just aren't worth the cost for me with what I use it for. The TP 10 with windows 10 is still everything the the others offer with the exception of only a slight increase in performance. They all have some issues, they always do. Some we can live with and others we cannot.

No, I'll keep the TP10 on windows 10 for a while longer, it's weight to value ratio still has appeal, until something amazing comes along or my TP10 dies.

Good luck everyone.

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use my TP10 for testing Insider Builds of Windows 10. As a result, it's usually mixed; steps forwards and steps backwards. Recent builds seem to have worsened coming out of Connected Standby (i.e. the screen doesn't always turn on), and battery usage is worse.

However, physically it's still a very appealing tablet, and the Intel Atom has enough power for my usage. I do like this machine.

3. terry mc

terry mc Scribbler - Standard Member

well it is interesting to hear some more feedback.
    I am now going to try turning cortana off and see how much difference that makes
    I have swapped in and out of power saver mode with not much difference in battery life.

I still have the issue with the stylus deactivating when left in sleep overnight.
    I can almost guaranty you that the first time I try to use the stylus each day it will not work.

Another thing I wonder, do any of you miss the case from the TPT-2 as much as I do.
    I find the docking connection on the TP10 almost painful when I use the tablet without one of my cases or snapshot cover, and the edges of the metal back cannot compare with the feel of that soft touch plastic back.

If I could have the TP10 guts in the TPT2 case complete with the stylus silo and back to windows 8.1 instead of the glitchiness that this tablet has with 10, I think I would have the device that I was hoping for when I bought this.

Agfadoc,
    I am with you, I am always looking and it always seems that every device I want to fall in love with has some flaws that sinks the ship.
    Helix2 looks like the case will be as uncomfortable as the 10, and lets not go into the price.
    Dell venue 11 7140 looks nice on paper but I recently felt a couple other dell models and they just felt cheap and well basically like what I remember dells being.
    Asus T300, I actually really like the feel of this one in hand it made me daydream about my old TPT2, but stories of poor battery life, and no full size USB kills that buzz.
    I actually bought a Fujitsu Q584 before the 10 absolutely hated it, even after years as a Fujitsu fan.
    No one is making that dream machine yet, which is a shame.

4. terry mc

Well being the experimenter that I am, I am now going to try a first generation Helix.
    It may be an old design, but I picked up an i5 180 GB dual display model for less than $300.
    Back to windows 8.1 and hopefully less glitches or none.
    If I don't like it I should be able sell it for what I have in it.

Once I am up on the helix, I will try a system reset on the TP10 and see if I can remove the issues I have with it.

5. terry mc

Well the first Helix I bought had issues so it went back and got a full refund.
    I found another one, this time an i7 8GB 256GB model and I love it!
    Yes it is an old device and yes it is thicker and heavier than the TP10.
    But wow what a difference in feel and just how solid it feels.
    You can take it in both hands and try to twist and it does not budge unlike the TP10.
    Performance is amazing, and given that I was having problems with the TP10 on battery life I gave up nothing in that area in tablet mode, and gain a bunch when attached to the keyboard.
    What a shame I wasted my money on the TP10 since I spent a lot more for the refurbished TP10 and accessories than I did for a refurbished Helix.
    Oh yeah and it is nice to have a device with a comfortable rubberized back again. I think that was the biggest fail of the TP10, that and the eMMc garbage storage card.

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any updates on this topic?

7. terry mc

Hi Ships,
    Not on my end.
    I did a repair on mine and it still has issues.
    The worst being the intermittent stylus issue.

Even around the house I would rather grab my Helix than the TP10, what a disappointment.

Good new is the Helix 1 has acceptable battery life, and it is a fantastic device albeit a little heavy.

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks Terry ....it's a shame that win 10 is still not ready for this device . I'm looking forward to Microsoft Surface 4 with Verizon .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.