Windows 10 on Thinkpad Tablet 10?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by terry mc, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't been writing on these forums much, but I have been lurking around for a very long time and I figured I would chip in here. I have had three thinkpad 10's. The first one had a hardware defect and was replaced by warranty. The second one was stolen, so I bought a third one for a crazy low price on ebay. The first one was replaced right around when windows 10 was released so I have had all three thinkpads 10's on windows 10. I have not had any problems except some minor UI inconsistencies that are present on my wife's Asus Vivotab Note 8 a well. That device had some serious issues on windows 10 with BSOD on palm rejection which was resolved with one of the updates (November, I believe). But none of the Thinkpad 10's had any of those problems. All three of my Thinkpad 10's were 64gb 2gb wifi only, without any finger print sensors or anything like that though. The first two had windows pro and the one I am using now has windows 10 home. This is truly an awesome machine. I use it as my desktop connected to a 19 inch monitor at home with a usb hub, as a laptop with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and as a tablet for taking notes with the pen.

2. terry mc

terry mc Scribbler - Standard Member

Ships, I still have problems with mine.
    The fingerprint reader is basically useless as it it so inconsistent.
    Most of the time the stylus is working now with the repair I described a few posts ago.
    But it will still on occasion not report on wakeup.
    Battery life is horrible on mine now, partly hardware as the battery report shows it down to 2/3 original capacity.
    But it has to be software as well, since it will only run for 2- 2 1/2 hrs from full charge.

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OMG...I'm so sorry to hear that.
    Windows 10 may not be for this machine of ours unless it's factory configured I guess.
    I still have the connected standby issues....battery drains despite being shut down. I sometimes have to check 2-3 times
    if it has really shut down.
    I am just waiting on the S4 and see what it has to offer.

4. jjsa1985

My TT10's all came with windows 8.1 and I updated to windows 10 myself. I did a reset PC after the update though. My current TT10 gives me about 8-10 hours battery life on 25-50% brightness with battery saver on.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

5. terry mc

terry mc Scribbler - Standard Member

That is great I wish I could get that kind of life out of mine.
    Unfortunately, I work outside so I could never run at 25% screen brightness.
    I can barely read sometimes at 100% brightness, but then again I live in the land of sunshine, Arizona.
    I will say that reducing brightness gave an estimated 5 1/2 battery life with some usage at home.

When I first got it, I could run 8 hrs on windows 8.1 pro at 100% brightness so something changed.
    I know the battery only has 2/3 the capacity that I used to but that should have only dropped me to about 5-6 hrs capacity.
    I will say that something did not go completely right when I did the update to windows 10.
    it nearly bricked the thinkpad, and I go it to work but some drivers such as the bluetooth will not update even when pushed to do so.

Bottomline it is functional, but not as nice as it once was when everything worked properly.

6. ships10

Terry I hear you loud and clear.
    Win 10 "upgrade" just messed up my machine also.
    I don't get the 6-8 hrs battery life I used to. With these frequent battery run downs I think it may get worse.
    I'm quite happy with 8.1 Pro.

7. jjsa1985

Have you tried Reset PC? Also, I disable cortana. If you don't setup cortana right I think it can drain battery fast on idle. I also always have battery saver on. Another thing is, I got a matte screen protector which seems to make the screen dimmer but easier on the eyes and may help for use outdoors.

8. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Cortana definitely drains the battery. Mine has been running very well after a fresh install.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

9. ships10

Nice to hear that. I guess the fresh install wiped out your hard drive?
    Any driver issues? Especially any touch or pen issues?
    Did you have to download reinstall all the drivers?

10. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Its been a while, but I went back to 8.1 and then decided to go back to 10 with a fresh install. I know I downloaded all the drivers and created the 10 USB. I know I started from scratch and not an upgrade. I thought to myself last week that it was running very well. Sometimes it doesn't come out of deep sleep, but very rarely. It only happens when you really need to make it work...lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.