Windows 10 on Thinkpad Tablet 10?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by terry mc, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update, I turned the wifi on during sleep reverted to the Lenovo wifi driver (5.93.102.22) and turned off battery saver. So far the wifi and fingerprint is staying stable and wakes up correctly. If all goes well I will do some battery tests and will update.
    If it stays like this I will certainly keep it on Win 10.

ships10 likes this.
  2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds awesome! Looks like we maybe getting somewhere.
    Looking forward to the battery test results.

3. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

Since the TP10 SSD is not replaceable, will the Windows 8.1 recovery partition still work after windows 10 update?

Windows 10 is still very interesting for me and my TP10, therefore any feedback on using the Windows 10 1511 version on the TP10 would be very interesting for me (and I guess also other TP10 users). Sicne I'm using the TP10 every day I will not update and later downgrade it.

4. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

A quick update after being on Windows 10, everything is stable, the fingerprint reader sometimes doesn't work, but hitting the power button on and off brings it back.

I have been eyeing the SP4, but I still think the TP10 works well in my environment, if the SP4 had a Sim card, I would own one, but until then, the TP10 is still going strong.

ships10 likes this.
  5. ships10

That's awesome to hear. I'm still reluctant coz my TPT10 is working great with Win 8.1 Pro
    and I love the touch experience far better than Win 10.

6. terry mc

terry mc Scribbler - Standard Member

Just an update on my end.
    After 4 months of using windows 10 it is a mixed review for me.

I like that it is closer to my desktop on layout since this is primarily a work machine.

The negatives are annoying things,
    1) everytime I have an update waiting it interferes with the function of some of the tablet.
    2) half the time returning from sleep the digitizer does not work, this is a biggie for me as I use the digitizer for work and rebooting to fix a sleeping stylus is very annoying!!!
    3) the fingerprint scanner has never functioned as well after changing to windows 10.
    4) Microsoft Edge is a joke, after getting frequent lockups that would even lockup my high end tower, I reverted back to Opera and all such lockups have ceased on both the tower and my tablet.
    5) Microphone does not work so recordings are garbled, and Cortana is useless in voice mode.
    6) now I am starting to have excessive battery drain, run time from full charge is down to about 3 hrs with 100% back lighting.

All in all I think this is a failed experiment.
    If it were not for the fact that I had a problem during the install, and question the ability to return to windows 8.1 Pro I probably would have returned to 8.1.
    However, I nearly had a bricked tablet during the install and I cannot risk it being bricked to return to windows 8.1.
    I think the majority of the problem is driver issues, but it could possibly be a hardware issue with mine.
    I have tried repeatedly checking for updated drivers and none of them have resolved these issues.

This is sad, as it is a nice device, it just gets buggy at times and not everything functions like it use to.
    In the past I have always been able to overcome driver issues and such but this time they seam to be getting the better of me.

All this said, I do enjoy windows 10 on my Asus G10, and my T900 it works beautifully on both those devices.

7. gskidsdoc

gskidsdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

I would also like to chime in : in a nutshell DON'T UPGRADE to Windows 10. Since my upgrade every other time I ( supposedly ) SHUT DOWN the tablet overnight , I find it is DOA with a dead battery in the morning ! Occasionally , I find the back a little warm . I'm not sure if it never actually shuts down, or if some automatic update pushed wakes the device up, or some combination . Theoretically , you can't wake up a device from OFF. This has never happened on WIndows 8.1 or on my HP Spectre laptop that I haven't ( thankfully ) updated . Any ideas ?
    Furthermore , I find NO advantage to Windows 10, it takes much longer to boot up from cold start and there is no advantage in user experience day to day. I can live with Metro tiles , thank you !!!! I may even go to the "dark side " and order a Macbook !!!

8. terry mc

Okay,
    Now on top of the other issues, I have a new one.
    from time to time, when I wake it from sleep it will wake up with a black screen and schedule notification in the corner.
    It won't allow you to dismiss the schedule notice and it will not move from the black screen unless you shut it off first.

All this on a device that I use daily for work.
    Irritating to say the least.
    I actually had better luck with Vista on my old Fujitsu T4220 than I have with Windows 10 on my TT10.

9. terry mc

Okay for those of you that have the Stylus issue, I hope I have found a solution on a "Surface Pro Forum".
    Boy that left a bad taste in my mouth saying that. PPtouey! :)
    Just kidding, Surface fans!

Anyways, the same problem exists for them as well.
    It is in the device manager settings.
    If you go to the control panel/ device manager
    you go down to the Human Interface Devices/ touch or click on it with finger or stylus.
    Go down to wacom/ press and hold on it with finger or stylus.
    Select Properties
    Then select power management tab.
    If you are having the issue I have you will see the box checked for
    "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
    Uncheck this box!

I will keep you updated, but if this resolves the stylus issue this is a huge step in the right direction for me.
    This has always been my biggest issue, since I use my stylus almost everytime I wake the device.

10. ships10

Just checking on you guys with Win10 on this device.
    Is everything going well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.