Windows 10 on Thinkpad Tablet 10?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by terry mc, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terry mc

terry mc Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a Thinkpad Tablet 10 that works great.
    I use it extensively for work and relaxation.
    It is a 128GB LTE model.

So here is my deal, my work tower I have changed over to windows 10.
    Other than an Nvidia graphics driver that was glitchy at first, everything is perfect and I love the interface.
    Believe it or not it is a less critical device than my tablet for my services.
    Now as part of my business plan I have moved my office managers computer to match my tower on Windows 10 so that all computers will be on the same operating system. (familiarity makes ease in troubleshooting problems)
    Next step for me will be to bring my Thinkpad 10 up to windows 10 to match the other computers.

I have checked the Lenovo site and they have drivers that I have updated since they are called out 8,8.1 and 10. So I know they are both windows 8 and windows 10 drivers. So that is all done.
    My question to this collective is do any of you have first hand experience with the Thinkpad 10 on Windows 10?
    Please refrain from comments of the type "My sisters boyfriend's brother had a horrible experience with a Dell tablet" to me these do not help since they are hearsay and do not reflect the device in question. I already have had this discussion with a family member that said she had 2 friends that Windows 10 crashed their perfectly good computers. Funny I have a 100% success rate so far. Sometimes you make your own luck.

I digress, any first hand experience positive or negative would be appreciated.
    I tend to cover my bases with research before diving in too deep.

2. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 128gb LTE TP10 and moved to Windows 10. The Windows cumulative update yesterday really helped, the wifi was horrible at first, but it is getting better. It still isn't as strong as the Windows 8 was performing but at least it isn't crashing the wifi anymore.

I am trying to be all on one OS as well and I intend on keeping the windows 10 on the TP 10. Always looking forward!

Edit: The folding camera action doesn't work on mine with the quickshot cover, but I didn't use it anyway.

3. terry mc

Well I took the plunge tonight.
    I figured I could roll back if I had issues.
    So far so good.

As Agfadoc stated the camera flap on the quickshot does not work yet, but I also do not use this.

There are a couple other things worth noting.
    Wacom has a really nice new calibration mode in control panel, 25 points of calibration on the extended settings.
    the basic is only four points. The only problem is that the Finish tab is off the screen in landscape mode once you have calibrated 29 points both basic and extended, so you cannot finalize your calibration. I tried a screen rotate to click the tab, but was warned by the software that it had to be finished without rotating.
    THIS Bites.
    I tried calibrating in portrait mode but it was not effective the calibration was off when I was done.
    So I went back and calibrated in landscape with the 4 point basic calibration and it is perfect. So FAR.
    I have found the calibration never seams to last with the TP10.
    The other thing that I noticed is that even though I have my control panel power settings to not require password on wakeup from sleep it still does if enough time passes while asleep. If I come right back it does not seam to require it, but with longer sleeps it will.

Not a big deal as I have my fingerprint scan for password so I just have to swipe to sign in, but some days this may get old if I am doing a lot of logging on and off in the field.

Positives.
    I have set mine to tablet mode and have the taskbar icons turned on, this gives a really nice combination of working like windows 8.1 (good for touch interface) for the start screen and having the taskbar with all my apps available like my desktop version for windows 10 on my tower system.
    Another nice touch is that when you swipe your finger from the left side of the screen instead of getting the next app or getting some small Thumbs vertically on the left you get large tiles against you home screen. Just touch the tile you want to go to and you are transported to that app.
    Swipe again from the left and you are transported back to your start screen.
    Another plus is the new Windows Edge, while it is lacks the swipe back capability that IE for windows 8 had it is soooo much faster.
    I am now using it instead of my long time default Opera. The interface is kind of bland, I really recommend at least setting to dark theme as the light theme looks like Office 2013 white on white on white. But they are making regular changes to it, so hopefully some custimization will be added in the future, But I really have the things I really want, Speed, Favorites bar at the top, and multiple tabs open on the browser.
    I really like the action center it give me quick access to Wifi, Sound, Display brightness, Tablet mode, rotation lock, Bluetooth, GPS, and many other usefull items to have direct control of.

All in All I am glad I have taken the step, it will create a uniform environment for my office computers.
    We shall see if I have any hiccups but so far everything I have tested is working well.

4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To get the Quickshot flap working correctly, I think you will have to use the New Companion app. The first time this is run, it will download a new version of Lenovo's platform interface software. This seems to have set up Quickshot correctly on my system. Before doing this, opening the Quickshot flap would just bring up the Start menu. Now it will open up the Camera app.

Odd that the 25 point calibration mode puts the Finish button off-screen on your system. It is positioned correctly on-screen on mine. When starting the calibration, the buttons are at the bottom of the screen, but as I move down through touching the points with the pen, the buttons switch to the top of the screen. Once the calibration is complete, the buttons move back down to the bottom, with the Finished button positioned 0.3" above the bottom edge of the screen.

5. terry mc

Yeah it moved it up in the middle part just as it did with yours. Then at the end when it moved it down I was missing the finish button.
    Just tried again 2 more times same result. I did try the portrait calibration again and saved and it is really accurate in portrait however it has the cursor pull slightly toward the center in landscape compared to stylus contact point. So I redid the 4 point in landscape and it is amazingly close except at the far edges.
    I would love to see how accurate the 25 point is in landscape as the portrait was perfect everywhere, which is a first for me with all the various tablets and dual digitizer display laptops I have had. I have never seen one this accurate at the edges.
    I even checked the resolution to see if it was still 1920 x 1200 and it was. I thought maybe I had lost some resolution and the display was cutting it off.
    But it was correct.

I will check out the new companion app, although the loss of this feature is not a big loss for me.
    I do want to be sure I am getting all the other items though so it may be beneficial.

6. terry mc

gcoupe,
    Well I just tried the Companion and it did do the download like you said however this did not change anything on the function of the quickshot.
    Again no big deal as I usually do not even use the camera, I have better ones than the one installed in any tablet.
    For giggles I tried the calibration again in case it was the download that makes the difference and as expected nothing changed.

Hopefully everything else will work, since so far I am enjoying the subtle differences of windows 10.

Agfadoc,
    On mine the WiFi is just as good as it was before, we seam to have some variations of functionality between the devices.

7. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey guys I'm closely watching your progress.
    I'm very encouraged by your progress!!
    I wonder how the 4G is behaving?
    Any improvement in increased brightness?
    Is the overall speed any better?

I'm not sure when I'll take the plunge...but it maybe sooner rather than later.
    I'll need your support and backup!

8. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Terry, yeah I updated on the first day and after the two major windows updates and a couple broadcom driver updates, it does now hold a pretty good signal. At first though, it had me thinking of going back, it was sometimes locking up the wifi and I had to disable/enable it, but like all major software updates, it just took some time. My WWAN is a Verizon card and also works very good. I am more convinced than ever that I will be staying.

9. gskidsdoc

gskidsdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

I too would like to make the jump to Windows 10 but am cautious especially regarding the reported WiFi issues. Is it better to download all updates including Broadcom WiFi BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10 ? or would that cause issues with existing Win 8.1 ? Obviously I would prefer to download prior to having issues with WiFi and the resulting difficulty of downloading any fixes !!!

10. gskidsdoc

gskidsdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

one more question, are you getting these driver updates from the on board Lenovo Solutions program or from Lenovo's website ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.